PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Arms

hazman
10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
After over 15 years' service, the wiper arms on my nsx-t were looking a bit tired:
(Wipers 1 & 2 jpg)
Kaz mentioned that simply painting them will make future stone chips obvious, so decided to powdercoat them. Easy job to detach the arms -two plastic coated bolts. Put them in the post to these guys: http://www.triple-s.co.uk/ , and they came back two weeks later (you can pay extra for express) looking like new.
Lets hope the coating lasts - will keep you posted!
(Wipers 3 & 4 jpg)

nobby
10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Nice job!

got mine powder coated when I had the wheels refurbed on my car; it's a nice finish to them and should be a bit better weather wearing.

was it pricey?

hazman
11-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Yes...I think so. £58 though £20 of that is post if you live locally...

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 12:26 AM
With a new set of wiper arms costing £254.60 from HUK, power coating is a no brainer! Seen the job done on Andrews and its a very nice finish.

Although I wonder how plasti dip would look and last on the arms.

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Just bought a can of black pasti dip, so going to give it a try and see how long it lasts, defiantly seems to give a nice finish.

Even someone made a video of wipers being done

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nYSjzcw63g4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnYSjzcw63g4

L696ULO
11-11-2012, 08:30 AM
My wipers were looking tired 3 years ago and I used a Hammerite smooth finish spray, 5,000 miles later they are still looking good

gumball
11-11-2012, 09:46 AM
With a new set of wiper arms costing £254.60 from HUK

Jaw hits floor..

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Just bought a can of black pasti dip, so going to give it a try and see how long it lasts, defiantly seems to give a nice finish.
Great idea, Sudesh.
Some people are using it on the wheels with good result so should be fine on the wiper arm.
It didn’t work well on the brake calipers but that was under extreme heat.

Where did you get yours?
I haven’t checked recently but a while ago, the available packages were limited compared to the ones in US with very good deal.

Kaz

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
My wipers were looking tired 3 years ago and I used a Hammerite smooth finish spray, 5,000 miles later they are still looking good

That's good stuff too, used it before on other cars with very good results.

PeterW
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
With a new set of wiper arms costing £254.60 from HUK... .

Ridiculous isn't it. The tapered spline on my driver's side arm is getting a bit tired, and at this price I've been thinking about if there's a way to repair it, rather than buy a new arm. Is anybody aware of whether you can get spline repair inserts like the Helicoils you can get for thread repairs? I haven't found anything. I was even thinking about buying a new arm for another car and cannibalising it to make an insert - machine out the old spline and key in the insert. But I can't find another car with the same diameter spline. The NSX arm has a bigger spline than seems to be standard on other cars.

Any ideas anybody? Otherwise I think I'll end up buying a replacement arm. And buying one from the US won't work for obvious reasons...

Peter

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
That price is for both wipers.

Drivers side is £142.87
Passenger £111.73

Ridiculous isn't it. The tapered spline on my driver's side arm is getting a bit tired, and at this price I've been thinking about if there's a way to repair it, rather than buy a new arm. Is anybody aware of whether you can get spline repair inserts like the Helicoils you can get for thread repairs? I haven't found anything. I was even thinking about buying a new arm for another car and cannibalising it to make an insert - machine out the old spline and key in the insert. But I can't find another car with the same diameter spline. The NSX arm has a bigger spline than seems to be standard on other cars.

Any ideas anybody? Otherwise I think I'll end up buying a replacement arm. And buying one from the US won't work for obvious reasons...

Peter

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Great idea, Sudesh.
Some people are using it on the wheels with good result so should be fine on the wiper arm.
It didn’t work well on the brake calipers but that was under extreme heat.

Where did you get yours?
I haven’t checked recently but a while ago, the available packages were limited compared to the ones in US with very good deal.

Kaz

Purchased it from here, used it before on other things and worked well.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/

NSXGB
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
The obvious suggestion here would be to try Dirk, he has a few RHD cars he is breaking. A whole world less pain than trying to fix yours.

or try the chap on eBay breaking the '99 but I think he will want more money.

NSXGB
11-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Jaw hits floor..
I didn't think that was too bad as it goes for both wipers.
If you want to hear a real crazy price, how about £42 for a NSX hand brake button...