PDA

View Full Version : Low Mileage Manual in Red just come up for sale

scottg
10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
New today on Pistonheads http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-1991/906506 very clean looking, great miles and nice history. Goldtop this could be the one!!!

nobby
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Very nice indeed ... Should be a no brainer if anyone interested in an NSX if the big servicing etc has been done. TB, water pump etc etc. still a 21 year old car so bits will still need doing to this ... Ohh and the wheels have to go!

Sudesh
10-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Looks real nice, great color too.

goldtop
10-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Been in touch and waiting to hear back. It's not black, doesn't have cream leather and isn't a targa... I'm not very good at this, am I? :D

NSXGB
10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Potentially a really good car though, good luck!

Been in touch and waiting to hear back. It's not black, doesn't have cream leather and isn't a targa... I'm not very good at this, am I? :D

Sudesh
10-11-2012, 10:13 PM

As mentioned before, THERE ARE NO CREAM LEATHER MODELS lol

Cream leather was not a UK option, and it would be even more rare/hard to find a JDM car in the spec your after within the UK. There are not that many JDM NSXs here.

Re-trim would be the way to go if your set on cream.

nobby
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Check out the other link to a car ... Fits a good bit of you req ... Dark colour but an auto

Nick Graves
11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
As mentioned before, THERE ARE NO CREAM LEATHER MODELS lol

Cream leather was not a UK option, and it would be even more rare/hard to find a JDM car in the spec your after within the UK. There are not that many JDM NSXs here.

Re-trim would be the way to go if your set on cream.

Hearing-aid beige!

And since the Targa name is registered to Porsche, there are no Targas either!

Sudesh
11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Hearing-aid beige!

And since the Targa name is registered to Porsche, there are no Targas either!

lol yip, hearing aid beige.

scottg
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
No longer on Pistonheads this afternoon so maybe its found a new home?

goldtop
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
No longer on Pistonheads this afternoon so maybe its found a new home?

Tell me about it. Owner sold it within 2hrs.

(cont'd: The One That Got Away, p98...)

Nick Graves
12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I remember that feeling...

Diesse 19
12-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Theres a surprise. Getting really fed up now!

WhyOne?
13-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Out of curiosity, how much was being asked for this car?

scottg
13-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Out of curiosity, how much was being asked for this car?

About 25k can't remember the exact figure may have been 500 either way

WhyOne?
13-11-2012, 08:46 AM
OK, thanks Scott.

nobby
13-11-2012, 08:56 AM
i think ad said 25,750.

I think anyone in the market for an NSX need to basically make a decision fairly rapidly and effectively arrange some form of deposit on enquiry to potentially secure the car ... either dealers are on the ball or there are lurkers out there just ready to pounce.

Sudesh
13-11-2012, 11:17 AM
OK, thanks Scott.

i think ad said 25,750.

I think anyone in the market for an NSX need to basically make a decision fairly rapidly and effectively arrange some form of deposit on enquiry to potentially secure the car ... either dealers are on the ball or there are lurkers out there just ready to pounce.

Yeah it was £25k odd.

L696ULO
13-11-2012, 06:11 PM
It was £25,750 the price is still there in brackets under the description heading

Papalazarou
13-11-2012, 09:20 PM
It's really tough trying to find a car. After I killed my LBB I was very proactive trying to find a car and it still took me five months. I advertised on Pistonheads and kept posting on my forum wanted advert. I got around fifteen replies in the end. Most of the cars offered were early cars, which makes sense as these represent the bulk of the UK market. I was finally offered a late 2004 car through the club and jumped at it.
I bought my current car through the club also. It was never advertised. In some ways it was one NSX too far, so will be selling in the spring. Time to move on for good this time.

So in conclusion, if you want a car, hang in there and be proactive.
Cheers.

Alpinestars
14-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Morning everyone.

I ended up buying this car. Quite a long story but briefly, I put a deposit down on the car last time it was sold (about a year ago), but when the time came to go and look at the car and buy it, the seller was, let's say, pretty unreasonable about what he expected in terms of payment. He wanted me to pay him, and come and collect the car a week later, and that sounded too much of a risk to me given that he was in the US and his brother was dealing with the sale from an address which was different to the registered keeper. Anyway, he decided that if I didn't play to his tune, he would return my deposit and sell it on to the next buyer, and before I could agree to his terms, he refunded my deposit and sold it on to someone else. Ho hum.

Come Saturday, I was surfing PH and was amazed to see the car for sale again. Called the seller immediately, but got through to voicemail. He called me back about 30 mins later, and said he was busy but would call me again in another 15 mins. So some relief at this stage that the car had not been sold, but at the same time a bit of anxiety that it could sell any minute (literally!). He eventually called back around 30 minutes later, and we agreed a deal on the phone - he told me he had the same issues with the previous seller, but decided to take the risk.

We spoke a few times over the weekend, and I had a horrible feeling someone was going to usurp my offer. The dreaded call came through on Sunday evening, after I had booked my train ticket up to Leeds (from London). Seller tells me he has had unprecedented interest in the car, and that a local guy has offered him 29k, cash in the morning. BA HUMBUG. To his credit, he said I am a man of my word so I will still give you first refusal, but we have to adjust the price. So we eventually agreed a higher price, but I was still a bit nervous about losing the car again.

Onto Monday morning, got on the train, which was delayed for 30 mins, and when we set off we are told to expect major delays because of a broken rail. All the time I am conscious that if I don't buy the car today, I'm going to lose it again. Eventually at around 1pm, I took the decision to pay the full balance into the sellers account without having seen the car!! Mad I know. Eventually got to Leeds, saw the car, sat in one for the first time ever! Got driven around, and after sorting all the paperwork, got my first drive of the car back to London. PHEW.

First impressions, I love it. I am a brilliant buyer of cars (as you can see from above), but a terrible seller, so luckily have accumulated some nice toys to compare the NSX to. So this will end up being a garage queen and will always be a low mileage car. I love the noise, the gearbox is excellent, the torque is surprising (given normal Type Rs), but the steering is much heavier than I thought it would be. Not sure this comparison has been made before, but the noise, gearbox, torque etc remind me of a 911 GT3 RS.

It's now locked away, waiting for the weekend to be washed, waxed, pampered etc.

One thing I have noticed, is that the biting point on the clutch is very high. It's perhaps on it's way out? Do they have any adjustment? Also the cost of the parts is very high at around £1,500. Where is the best place to buy them and get them fitted in the South East.

Thanks in advance, and apologies (kind of) to all those that were looking at this car, but I wasn't going to miss it twice.

Sudesh
14-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Morning everyone.

I ended up buying this car. Quite a long story but briefly, I put a deposit down on the car last time it was sold (about a year ago), but when the time came to go and look at the car and buy it, the seller was, let's say, pretty unreasonable about what he expected in terms of payment. He wanted me to pay him, and come and collect the car a week later, and that sounded too much of a risk to me given that he was in the US and his brother was dealing with the sale from an address which was different to the registered keeper. Anyway, he decided that if I didn't play to his tune, he would return my deposit and sell it on to the next buyer, and before I could agree to his terms, he refunded my deposit and sold it on to someone else. Ho hum.

Come Saturday, I was surfing PH and was amazed to see the car for sale again. Called the seller immediately, but got through to voicemail. He called me back about 30 mins later, and said he was busy but would call me again in another 15 mins. So some relief at this stage that the car had not been sold, but at the same time a bit of anxiety that it could sell any minute (literally!). He eventually called back around 30 minutes later, and we agreed a deal on the phone - he told me he had the same issues with the previous seller, but decided to take the risk.

We spoke a few times over the weekend, and I had a horrible feeling someone was going to usurp my offer. The dreaded call came through on Sunday evening, after I had booked my train ticket up to Leeds (from London). Seller tells me he has had unprecedented interest in the car, and that a local guy has offered him 29k, cash in the morning. BA HUMBUG. To his credit, he said I am a man of my word so I will still give you first refusal, but we have to adjust the price. So we eventually agreed a higher price, but I was still a bit nervous about losing the car again.

Onto Monday morning, got on the train, which was delayed for 30 mins, and when we set off we are told to expect major delays because of a broken rail. All the time I am conscious that if I don't buy the car today, I'm going to lose it again. Eventually at around 1pm, I took the decision to pay the full balance into the sellers account without having seen the car!! Mad I know. Eventually got to Leeds, saw the car, sat in one for the first time ever! Got driven around, and after sorting all the paperwork, got my first drive of the car back to London. PHEW.

First impressions, I love it. I am a brilliant buyer of cars (as you can see from above), but a terrible seller, so luckily have accumulated some nice toys to compare the NSX to. So this will end up being a garage queen and will always be a low mileage car. I love the noise, the gearbox is excellent, the torque is surprising (given normal Type Rs), but the steering is much heavier than I thought it would be. Not sure this comparison has been made before, but the noise, gearbox, torque etc remind me of a 911 GT3 RS.

It's now locked away, waiting for the weekend to be washed, waxed, pampered etc.

One thing I have noticed, is that the biting point on the clutch is very high. It's perhaps on it's way out? Do they have any adjustment? Also the cost of the parts is very high at around £1,500. Where is the best place to buy them and get them fitted in the South East.

Thanks in advance, and apologies (kind of) to all those that were looking at this car, but I wasn't going to miss it twice.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Usually the USA is the cheapest for parts if you do the costings right, but remember there are some differences between LHD and RHD parts. Clutch will be fine to order from anywhere.

Biting point I always thought was a tad high on the NSX anyway, so it may be ok? as you have only purchased the car, I would do a bit more driving and testing to see if the clutch is slipping in any way. Have read here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/clutch.htm

scottg
14-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Congratulations on your new purchase, lovely mileage, spec and colour. I don't know what else you have in your collection but having had a few toys over the years myself I think the NSX is a great combination of rarity, reliability and most of all a great drive. Enjoy your car and I hope to see you at some events next year.

WhyOne?
14-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Many congratulations - I can fully empathise with the stress you went through buying your car.

As for teh clutch - I bought my car with about 38k miles on the clock and thought the bite was high. The car has now covered 52k miles, the bite is still high, but the clutch still works fine.

Alpinestars
14-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies and welcome everyone.

Nick Graves
14-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Congratulations! It's a bit of a trial, buying one of these things.

You got there in the end.

The engine noise is funny; I like the three-cylinder offbeat idle, as well as the VTEC induction roar. They have real character.

The clutch bite is quite high on most Hondas - it helps with fast H&T changes, but also makes it too easy to slip the clutch, until you adjust to it. So it may be acclimatisation, rather than wear. The clutches seem quite soft.

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

CL bite point is always high on standard NSX and you can adjust it to a certain extent but if you really want to do something about it, you will need the Type-R CL pedal with damperless joint.

You can find some info here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76745 - post76745 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76745#post76745)

And also here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?431-CL-Hyd-System-01

If you do fast gear change at high rpm, you may feel CL slip (even if the CL itself is fine) if you are not quick enough with your left foot due to the high bite point.

As you seemed to have enough experience so you already know that you can’t judge the state of CL by the mileage and mainly depends on the driving conditions. For example, while in Japan with stop and go traffic, I used to replace my CL at about 30K miles whereas in UK, I already covered well over 100K miles on my existing CL (OEM) and probably it is getting close to the limit.

If you are new to NSX, then you may find useful info in my ‘NSX Technical and Service Information Index’ (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8732-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index) thread and also in my Blog here on NSXCB site.

Hope you will enjoy your NSX before it gets really freezing cold.

Kaz

NSX-FAN
14-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Congratulations, glad you have managed to secure this car.

goldtop
14-11-2012, 01:48 PM
apologies (kind of) to all those that were looking at this car, but I wasn't going to miss it twice.

Well, I should feel bitter and twisted, but it sounds like this car was destined to be in your hands. Glad to hear that it worked out after all the suspense. Congrats. :)

Looks like I should settle down for a looooonnnnnngggg search if you spent a year!

(Thinking I ought to sit back a while and enjoy the MR2 in the meantime, maybe swap the SC pulley for 190bhp...)

nobby
14-11-2012, 02:23 PM
congrats on purchase and welcome onboard

however and I quote "So this will end up being a garage queen and will always be a low mileage car." not something I would have thought about doing with it ... the NSX is a drivers car so go DRIVE it ... like it was intended to do!

You only live once and all that so you may as well enjoy ur hard purchase when you are fit and able ... life is too short!

Nick Graves
14-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Well, I should feel bitter and twisted, but it sounds like this car was destined to be in your hands. Glad to hear that it worked out after all the suspense. Congrats. :)

Looks like I should settle down for a looooonnnnnngggg search if you spent a year!

(Thinking I ought to sit back a while and enjoy the MR2 in the meantime, maybe swap the SC pulley for 190bhp...)

Keep looking - a good one will turn up in the right place at the right time (probably just the wrong occasion!) and you will be in the chair for it.

TheSebringOne
14-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Congrats & finally you get the car you wanted, abeit a year later!