PDA

View Full Version : SRS light

BabyG
24-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the day before a planned epic trip round Europe I was surprised to see a dash light come on. It's the SRS light, it comes on with the ignition and won't go off. Chiswick Honda have taken a look and the Number 1 fuse (10A) in the passenger footwell has blown. They replaced it, and it blows again as soon as the car is powered back on. They're not sure what's going on, they're thinking it could be the SRS control unit (77932SLON81). Their next course of action will be to investigate whether the wiring between the control unit and the fusebox is all present and correct.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any idea what might be going on? Checking out the wiring loom will cost quite a bit in labour, and control unit is both quite expensive and on a significant order time from Japan. Is there any test for the control unit itself which would confirm whether it's functioning properly before ordering one from overseas?

Any help appreciated!

Rich

p.s. said epic trip is through France via Millau and Route Napoleon, over any parts of the alps that are clear then down to Modena and supercar valley. I'm keen to get going!

NSXGB
24-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Some reading for you BabyG....might give you some possibilities.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=48

Sudesh
24-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I might have a good control unit to suit the car if that's what it turns out to be.

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the day before a planned epic trip round Europe I was surprised to see a dash light come on. It's the SRS light, it comes on with the ignition and won't go off. Chiswick Honda have taken a look and the Number 1 fuse (10A) in the passenger footwell has blown. They replaced it, and it blows again as soon as the car is powered back on. They're not sure what's going on, they're thinking it could be the SRS control unit (77932SLON81). Their next course of action will be to investigate whether the wiring between the control unit and the fusebox is all present and correct.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any idea what might be going on? Checking out the wiring loom will cost quite a bit in labour, and control unit is both quite expensive and on a significant order time from Japan. Is there any test for the control unit itself which would confirm whether it's functioning properly before ordering one from overseas?

Any help appreciated!

Rich

p.s. said epic trip is through France via Millau and Route Napoleon, over any parts of the alps that are clear then down to Modena and supercar valley. I'm keen to get going!

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi, Rich.

While I was modifying the layout of the actual SRS related blog for the mobile devices, NSXGB posted the above blog category so I hope you can look at the latest format.

There are several possibilities including the short circuit on the cables especially if someone worked around the SRS control unit or steering wheel area but I’m afraid, SRS wires are well protected so unless your horn and cruise control no longer works (cable reel issue), there is a high chance of SRS control unit failure.

Please visit the blog category in NSXGB’s post and then click on all four titles while holding the ‘Ctrl’ key to display each posts in new tab on your web browser.

If it is indeed the SRS controller unit failure, please pay extra attention to the bold text in the 3rd post.

SRS unit is a safety device so you should replace it and not repair it.
Also, you must use the NEW unit and not an used one because there is no gurantee that the same issue is not already happening inside the used unit.

Hope it is not the SRS controller unit failure……

Kaz

Sudesh
24-10-2012, 07:33 PM
At £468.36 for a new control unit from HUK, I think I would prefer to pay £50 for a good used one and run with that. But best to check first and see what the exact fault is.

BabyG
25-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all. We're going to try sticking Sudesh's one in and see what happens. Cheaper than labour to diagnose wiring problems in the car!
Rich

Nick Graves
25-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Are there any under-seat sensors on an NSX, or is it too ancient?

Just a thought that a connector might have come unplugged and got chewed in a seat runner.

Mind you, if it's taking out the 10A fuse, it could be more serious.

Nytram
25-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Is it worth checking the state of these leaky capacitors in the spare unit before replacing it, just that I can remember Kaz having quite a long and difficult job getting this SRS unit removed, so its not something you can swap over easily without dismantling the car again.

Strange that mine failed just after returning from a trip to LeMans, Millau, South France.

Hope it goes well and have fun in France.
Regards Martyn.

Sudesh
25-10-2012, 09:46 PM
The unit had absolutely no faults when removed from the car, and came from a low mileage vehicle, also as the unit has been dry stored, not near any form of high heat and obviously no power cycles, it will still be in the same condition.

I have a few of them too lol but different between early and later models, in fact the part number changes from early model with single airbag/ dual airbag model and so on.

I sold one to a guy in the US 4 years ago, all has been fine since.

Is it worth checking the state of these leaky capacitors in the spare unit before replacing it, just that I can remember Kaz having quite a long and difficult job getting this SRS unit removed, so its not something you can swap over easily without dismantling the car again.

Strange that mine failed just after returning from a trip to LeMans, Millau, South France.

Hope it goes well and have fun in France.
Regards Martyn.

Nytram
25-10-2012, 10:08 PM
The unit had absolutely no faults when removed from the car, and came from a low mileage vehicle, also as the unit has been dry stored, not near any form of high heat and obviously no power cycles, it will still be in the same condition.

I have a few of them too lol but different between early and later models, in fact the part number changes from early model with single airbag/ dual airbag model and so on.

I sold one to a guy in the US 4 years ago, all has been fine since.

I wish I knew that last year,
Looking forward to meeting you at Donington next May
Regards Martyn.

Sudesh
25-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I wish I knew that last year,
Looking forward to meeting you at Donington next May
Regards Martyn.

Martyn, I have dismantled a few cars over the years and still have parts in storage, didn't actually realize how many bits until I started clearing out a warehouse a few weeks ago, found stuff I forgot I had lol

Removing the airbag unit is a bit if a pain alright, the bolts can be very tight and limited space, but I've got them out ok.

BabyG
02-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Just to say that slotting in the replacement unit from Sudesh has done the trick and it all seems to be working again! Honda charged just over two hours labour for removal and re-fit, not too bad. Although delayed I'm now in Maranello, having spent the last couple of days in the Alps checking out what was still open. Col de la Forclaz highly recommended :-)

Rich

scottg
02-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone,

Just to say that slotting in the replacement unit from Sudesh has done the trick and it all seems to be working again! Honda charged just over two hours labour for removal and re-fit, not too bad. Although delayed I'm now in Maranello, having spent the last couple of days in the Alps checking out what was still open. Col de la Forclaz highly recommended :-)

Rich

Good news, would love to see some pics posted when you get the chance

Sudesh
02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
That's brilliant! Glad it all went well for you and saved some money. Take plenty of nice photos and pst them up when you can.

Hi everyone,

Rich