PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Wheel Studs?

unloaded
23-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Has anyone had any experience with replacing Wheel studs on their NSX?

I've replaced studs on cars before and just knocked them through the revolving hole behind the hub - nice and easy.

The NSX setup looks far more tricky; caliper off, disk off, hub off, drive shaft out?
Any advice on what needs to be removed to get to the studs appreciated.

Also does anyone know the torque settings for things like the bearing holder and driveshaft?

:?: :?:

duncan
23-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Try a search on nsxprime, for either the front or back, I can't remember which one; but I don't think both, the trick was to relieve the carrier/upright [using a Dremel] such that one stud in turn could be withdrawn without needing the removal of the hub.

duncan
23-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Second reply, see the DANOLAND posts, there are instructions and photos for replacing the front studs, with the hub removed. So assuming my memory holds; its the rear uprights that can be relieved to avoid total dis-assembly.

unloaded
24-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Duncan. Unfortunately I can't find anything on NSXPrime or the other sites that is of much use.
I'll just have to hope that when the caliper and disc are off it is a little more obvious how to get them out without dis-assembling the lot!

If anyone knows what the bearing holder, driveshaft, hub torque settings are then at least I will have those to hand if dis-assembling is the only option.

:?

duncan
24-02-2006, 01:27 PM
For rear hubs and their studs http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33137
For front hubs and their studs try
http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/fronthub/stud/studs.htm

unloaded
26-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Duncan - thanks for digging out the link - it all makes good sense, you have just saved me a lot of time and greif!!!! :P :P :P

Jim
26-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I tried to replace the rear studs last week with longer studs to install a set of H&M spacers, but I was unable to remove the hub due to the 36mm super nut. Even with a very large socket set purchased for the job. So next weekend I will be trying the work around solution suggested in the link.

Replacing the studs is no small job, best understood before buying spacers over 5mm.

Jim