PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning engine

kevinpsw
23-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I've all but bought my NSX - it's chosen, now it needs the sordid business of paying for it! I hope to have it within the next couple of weeks.

The engine of my chosen car has probably never been steam cleaned and it does look grubby.

I know it was 70s British Leyland technology but, after I steam cleaned the Triumph Stag I had (some years ago I might add), it leaked oil for the following 6 years that I owned it. One would expect a Honda to be better but is there still a risk attached to such a vigorous cleaning process?

Does any member have a engine cleaning tale to relate or advice to offer?

DTA-Motorsport
23-02-2006, 10:42 AM
If I may, I'd like to offer my 2p worth with regard to steam cleaning engines.

I would strongly advise AGAINST steam cleaning the engine of any car, especially a high performance car engine.

I don't know how old your future NSX is but there could be some unpleasant consequences whether your car is a '91 or 05.

Using hot steam under pressure could easily damage sensitive parts as well as get between gaskets, rubber seals, etc. It just isn't worth the risk.

I personally run a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and have used degreasing liquids and good old elbow grease to get my engine to show car standard. A lot of fellow 300 owners who end up steam cleaning the engine always complain of various electrical problems following the treatment.

I would therefore stay well away from steam cleaning. The engine bay of a NSX is actually a lot less cramped than a 300ZX so it should not be a difficult job to get it looking clean!

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards,

Dan

glenlewis
14-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi again Kevin,

When i had this car thoroughly valeted it included an full engine clean.
I specifically asked them NOT to do this.
I don't recommend steam cleaning the NSX engine.
I also dont like the idea of buying a steam cleaned engine car, thats why i chose against it.

Hope this clarifys it for you

Kind regards
Glen.