PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie - Cambridge

goldtop
21-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Hello all. :)

I've spent quite a long time lurking here, over quite a few years. Partly displacement activity, but mostly working out what to buy when I could finally get my hands on an NSX. Well, that day has come: the house is sold, there's money in the bank, the GF is happy that I'm down-sizing from three to just two cars. It's time to scratch that NSX itch.

Right now, my mid-engined needs are being met by a JDM Mk1 MR2 supercharged Super Edition (attached photo). Before that there were X1/9s, the inevitable MX5 and an R33 GT-R. My ideal NSX is a 3.2 manual targa with pop-ups, black paint, cream interior. My chances, of course, are slim-to-none. So I'll doubtless compromise on something...

Other relevant stuff: will be visiting Japan early 2013 (my GF speaks/reads Japanese, which should help). Seems that importing is costly, however, so I doubt I'll get very far on that, but I may be able to buy some JDM bits and ship them back via my business courier account.

Bad news: I did lose the MR2's garage when I moved in with the GF, so that's also got to come out of the budget! :(

Sudesh
21-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi and welcome.

Yes your correct on both accounts, Black 3.2 Targa Popup with cream is not possible, Cream leather was not available on the UK NSX that Im aware off; Im also not sure if there are any Black 3.2 pop up Targa models available? I've not seen one for sale in the UK since I joined the club; in fact, now I think about it, I have not even seen a black 3.2 popup coupe here? and even 3.0 black coupes are a rare sight and dont recall anyone ever posting photos of owning one.

Closest dark color to that spec I can think of, is member Senninah, he has a quite a rare dark grey model.

And yes your right about importing, if that spec could be found in Japan, the price would be depending on miles, and around £60k plus before importing, thats just a wild guess, I could work it out exactly for if your interested.

kowalski
21-10-2012, 02:16 PM
There are a few 3.0 Black coupes in the UK, and one definitely has a cream interior! ;)

leigh

Sudesh
21-10-2012, 07:28 PM
There are a few 3.0 Black coupes in the UK, and one definitely has a cream interior! ;)

leigh

Yeah I know there are a few 3.0 black coupes, hence why I said they are rare sight, I know of one over here too! Cream interior though would indicate either a re-trim or JDM car to me.

AR
21-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Don't get too hung up on the 3.2 vs 3.0 debate.

Sudesh
21-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't get too hung up on the 3.2 vs 3.0 debate.

Totally agree, never understood that either, maybe with 6 gears people like the fuel economy lol

goldtop
21-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and guidance. Of course I understand how rare these are to find for sale (let alone even see in GB), so main priorities are simply manual and pop-ups, then condition (naturally). I suppose a 2-seater is comparatively cheap to retrim. ;)

On paint colours, I did see one Japanese dealer's Website that had a lot of NSXs in colours that I don't think I've ever seen here (either on this forum or in the flesh). I personally imported my R33, but that was way back when the GBP:Yen exchange was a LOT more friendly. Don't much fancy the hassle either!

Sudesh
21-10-2012, 09:29 PM
There are a vast arrays of colors available in Japan, check the technical section for paint color and codes to see some listed.

Thanks for the warm welcome and guidance. Of course I understand how rare these are to find for sale (let alone even see in GB), so main priorities are simply manual and pop-ups, then condition (naturally). I suppose a 2-seater is comparatively cheap to retrim. ;)

On paint colours, I did see one Japanese dealer's Website that had a lot of NSXs in colours that I don't think I've ever seen here (either on this forum or in the flesh). I personally imported my R33, but that was way back when the GBP:Yen exchange was a LOT more friendly. Don't much fancy the hassle either!

nobby
22-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Welcome on board !
good luck with your search

Senninha
22-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Welcome Goldtop,

The only black Targa I'm aware of is an 03 facelift model and has been with its owner for many years (if not from new). Nearest would be mine or CMUK's which has the blood red interior, both are 3.2 T models.

A dark coloured Targa is going to be hard to find so you last post about condition over colour is sensible and good luck.

Like youself there are many owners that also 'lurk' on the forum and rarely post. A wanted add might just invite some direct contact for you should someone belooking to part with their NSX.

Good luck

regards, Paul

goldtop
22-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Good idea about the 'Wanted' advert - hadn't even thought there would be NSX-owning lurkers who may want to sell. Will do so ASAP.

There are just so many Berlina Black coupes and targas on NSXprime! (insert green-with-envy smiley here) But a LHD manual would never work for me... :(

kowalski
22-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah I know there are a few 3.0 black coupes, hence why I said they are rare sight, I know of one over here too! Cream interior though would indicate either a re-trim or JDM car to me.

I swapped the black interior of mine with the cream interior from a 2003 Quantum Grey Coupe, an even rarer car especially with the cream interior it had then.

leigh

Sudesh
22-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I swapped the black interior of mine with the cream interior from a 2003 Quantum Grey Coupe, an even rarer car especially with the cream interior it had then.

leigh

Thats not cream, thats the standard tan hide found on other UK NSXs

I would call this more cream in color:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/0550834A20101024W00114.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/0550834A20101024W00113.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/0550834A20101024W00112.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/0550834A20101024W00110.jpg

NSXGB
22-10-2012, 05:56 PM
...I'd call it ivory. :)

jpspringall
22-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Are you in Cambridge GoldTop?

If you are and you end up getting one that would make 2 and almost common!

James

Nick Graves
22-10-2012, 06:59 PM
...I'd call it ivory. :)

Hearing-aid beige!

Welcome & GLWTSearch!

Also done the X-1/9s & MX-5s in the past...

scottg
22-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Welcome Goldtop.
you have a challenging wish list but if you do compromise on an auto then this would be worth a look as it a targa in a dark colour with a tan interior. http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C334251#. Good value and mileage, a great affordable way into an nsx and having owned a manual 3.2 na2 targa and now an na1 auto it's no less fun (well almost).
good luck

goldtop
22-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm with Sudesh - one is tan, one is cream (tan isn't so bad, but IMHO works best with convertibles - like the black/tan MX5). Ivory would be almost white compared to cream. Seems a moot point anyway!

Yes - I'm in Cambridge. Occasionally saw a yellow NSX around A14/Ipswich, but haven't seen one around here yet.

Welcome Goldtop.
you have a challenging wish list but if you do compromise on an auto then this would be worth a look as it a targa in a dark colour with a tan interior. http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C334251#. Good value and mileage, a great affordable way into an nsx and having owned a manual 3.2 na2 targa and now an na1 auto it's no less fun (well almost).
good luck

I should at least try an auto, but the idea seems like an almost-achieved-dream after so long spent waiting. This thread is probably not the best place to do this subject, of course. :)

Nick Graves
23-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd like to try one - I can see the appeal and the GT86 I test-drove was a slushbox & it really wasn't a drag.

Mind you, it had five cogs...

markc
26-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Totally agree, never understood that either, maybe with 6 gears people like the fuel economy lol

The 3.0ltr 6spds are the ones to go for then ;)

Seriously though, 4th and 5th are MUCH better on the 6spd cars... and you still have 6th for great fuel economy :)

Sudesh
26-10-2012, 10:45 PM
The 3.0ltr 6spds are the ones to go for then ;)

Seriously though, 4th and 5th are MUCH better on the 6spd cars... and you still have 6th for great fuel economy :)

I drove the 6 speed NSXs a few times, even owned a silver 3.2 manual in 1999/2000, but still don't see the big difference? In everyday driving and quick overtaking etc, I wouldnt rate the 3.2 as being any better, I just dont notice it.

Maybe the difference is on track? I have never really done a proper track day with the 2 cars to distinguish them.

Nick Graves
27-10-2012, 06:42 PM
It's more the area under the torque curve that makes it more relaxed, less in need of a downshift, than absolute redline performance. IIRC; it's a while since I drove the 3.0 version. And TBF, I didn't get to redline it in 4th & 5th.

As cars get older, they gain mass and refinement as well as power, so some of the benefit is self-cancelling.

Senninha
08-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Not sure if you home or away .. but if monitoring your thread then check this one out ...

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11072-1996-NSX-Targa-for-sale

On its toes, ready to go and IF you really cant live with color, then wrap it ...

nobby
08-04-2013, 08:10 AM
i think the last IYP that came up for sale was dismiised due to the colour ... cant see this one being any different even though it ticks a couple of reqs namely Targa and Manual

I admit I needed a hell of convincing by Sudesh to go see the car I ended up with due to the the colour, but when you see the colour in the flesh so to speak the NSX suits it

As you say Paul, its pretty much ready to go ... hoping it does not linger too long, it shouldn't

Senninha
08-04-2013, 08:21 AM
.....I admit I needed a hell of convincing by Sudesh to go see the car I ended up with due to the the colour, but when you see the colour in the flesh so to speak the NSX suits it..........
6 yrs ago when I was buying I dismissed a couple for this reason. I wouldn't make the same decision today as cars in this condition are rare. I also find myself drawn to the Indy cars at shows, especially if the sun is out as this color absolutely jumps out and makes the NSX look fantastic. If I wanted a manual targa I'd be on the phone pdq...

nobby
08-04-2013, 07:08 PM
100% agree with everything you say above!

yes the colour in nice weather when detailed is something else!

goldtop
11-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Currently in Tokyo and back in England late next week. Nice to see that a few more have appeared.

(only seen one NSX here in the last three weeks)