PDA

View Full Version : ph - shed of the week

nobby
19-10-2012, 08:34 AM
references to the NSX :)

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26537

and here is a link about setright from wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._J._K._Setright

and here is link to CAR mag article - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Guest-Blogs/How-LJK-Setright-would-spend-540000-on-cars-CAR-magazine-archive-June-1994/

Sudesh
19-10-2012, 09:45 AM
4th gen Prelude for me. I went to buy one a few years back as it had the factory fitted body kit and wheels which I liked, but unfortunately after viewing, it just wasn't to be, the car had more problems than I cared to sort out as I didn't want to get into another restoration project.

Still look round for a good 4th gen one though.

Really like the accord coupe too, thanks to Andrew for giving me that bug lol

simonprelude
19-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I've still got my 4G, it's not moved in 4.5 years and the wheels from it are currently on my S2000.

The fourth-generation Prelude that Setright was referring to in his piece would have cost £30K in 1994. Time's been kind to its shape: from some angles you wonder what brochures Maserati designers were reading when they penned the 3200 GT.

Oh really............ ;)

nobby
19-10-2012, 01:12 PM
NP, bud, happy to help ; )

Nick Graves
19-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I've still got my 4G, it's not moved in 4.5 years and the wheels from it are currently on my S2000.

Oh really............ ;)

Did you ever get the rear lights working?

I've still got my 5G.

Dragonlady
22-10-2012, 04:05 PM
4th gen Prelude for me. I went to buy one a few years back as it had the factory fitted body kit and wheels which I liked, but unfortunately after viewing, it just wasn't to be, the car had more problems than I cared to sort out as I didn't want to get into another restoration project.

Still look round for a good 4th gen one though.

Got one of them too, an Accord Coupe that is, which model do you have?

nigel
23-10-2012, 01:31 AM
One of my daily drivers is a 3rd gen '91 4WS Prelude SI w/JDM engine.
I really like it.
It's kind of funny to look at the Prelude sites and see how intense the Prelude people are in the same way alot of us NSX owners are about our NSXs.
Some, like myself are lucky to have both.
I have an '87 Prelude SI as a spare airport car as well.
I'd like to have a '91 Accord Coupe if I could find one that hasn't been bodged together. Not many over here.

Cheers
nigel

Nick Graves
23-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Honda has one of the best purchaser-loyalty ratings of any manufacturer.

Unfortunately, Honda seems determined in alienating most of them recently.

havoc
23-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda, about 10 or so years ago, succumbed to the "modern auto manufacturer" template - gone was the Engineering and Ergonomics-led design, and in was "Marketing", "Styling" and "Focus Groups"...all of whom persuaded Honda they needed 'conquest' sales and most probably a 'younger' buyer profile. Also in was outsourcing and 'cost leadership' (sic).

The consequences, respectively, were cars which looked better but were actually harder to use (FN2 Civic I'm looking SQUARELY at you, your dashboard and your woeful rear-viz!), and worse for Honda, cars whose component reliability* had deteriorated, despite the "soft touch" plastics (pre-facelift EP3, take a bow).

I do still have hope for the company - the ghost of the original ethos is still there, and can be (at least partially) resurrected, given the right leadership and motivation. Certainly moreso than many other companies right now (e.g. BMW having sold out even further, IMHO).

* My ITR is only now needing a new exhaust, after 13 years and 84k. An ex-colleague's 206 was on it's 3rd exhaust in ~6 years and another colleague's Clio had just needed a new exhaust at 3yrs 6mths...

Nick Graves
24-10-2012, 07:08 PM
There are at least a couple of factions vying for control within Honda, it is said. They of course, behave like gangs of 12-year old boys, and try to stamp on each others' sand castles.

It's all rather destructive and, although the engineering teams would LOVE to do some exciting stuff again, I'm not holding my breath. The new RLX will be a clue, but the proof of the pudding will be the NSX2 and I'm very dubious about all this Voltaire stuff.

*The EK4 used to get through back boxes like they were going out of fashion during its 82K. Since so much of the plank is shared with the DC2, it must've been the shorter tail section that was causing stresses on the weld. The rest of it was very bulletproof, though.

Sudesh
26-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Got one of them too, an Accord Coupe that is, which model do you have?

Hi,

Sorry you picked me up wrong, I don't have one of those, but after talking to Andrew and seeing his recent purchase, I started to get the itch fir an Accord Coupe, really like the model with the factory kit.