PDA

View Full Version : Does a uk rear plate fit JDM bumper?

Tokyo-Joe
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Hey guys,

The police have taken a keen interest in giving me attention for my JDM rear plate (italic) so I was wondering if I could swap to a standard uk rear plate to alleviate attention?

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi, Joe.

Unless you are willing to modify your rear bumper, you won’t be able to fit the replacement standard UK rear plate based on the current regulation.

It’s not the shape of the plate that you were stopped by the police.

It is the font that is the problem.

Italic is no longer allowed even if your existing plate was fitted before Sep/2001.

Please refer to page 9 of this document;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Better to replace it before being issued with the fixed fine on the spot (if you are over a certain age).

Kaz

Sudesh
12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi, Joe.

Unless you are willing to modify your rear bumper, you won’t be able to fit the replacement standard UK rear plate based on the current regulation.

It’s not the shape of the plate that you were stopped by the police.

It is the font that is the problem.

Italic is no longer allowed even if your existing plate was fitted before Sep/2001.

Please refer to page 9 of this document;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Better to replace it before being issued with the fixed fine on the spot (if you are over a certain age).

Kaz

Yeah as Kaz pointed out, it's the style of the lettering you have. Personally I've never been into fancy writing on number plates or spacing to make something look like a name etc, think its extremely tacky, and as mentioned its illegal too.

Just the plain old standard lettering looks good to me.

Tokyo-Joe
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Kaz you are a legend.

Thanks guys!

britlude
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
as said already, the JDM numberplate slot is too narrow for the std UK plate, mine is JDM and uses a squarer stlye, with 2 rows of digits...

when i got it
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20stuff/early%20nsx%20pics/zKIF_0445800x600.jpg

replaced later, still a standard size
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20stuff/270220122205.jpg

the problem you're having is with the font.

it's being clamped down on, and has been for quite a while, coinciding with the increase in the number of ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras out there! they cannot read the italic/stylised/re-spaced numberplates.

they are pretty much everywhere now, car parks, tunnels, motorway tolls, and most obviously the congestion charge zones. basically anywhere where someone might want to get money out of you!

Tokyo-Joe
12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know the JDM rear plate size? No worries if not I can measure mine tonight :)

britlude
12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
mine is 6 inches high, 13 inches wide. (165x330) (the first pic above had a slightly deeper plate which overlapped the valance at the bottom, hence a slightly shorter one when i got a replacement) to be fully legal, they need the name and post code of the manufacturer. if they don't have these they are 'show plates' and don't need a log book at purchase!

always amused me when i took a car with a broken plate to halfords, car outside, broken plate in hand, and they STILL wanted ID and log book! they could have bolted it on the car too! more legislation poorly thought out!

anyway.... a quick internet search of number plate makers, ie http://www.demonplates.com/platebuilder.php shows sizes....

IMPORT PLATES
330MM WIDE X 152MM HIGH
330MM WIDE X 165MM HIGH
330MM WIDE X 178MM HIGH
330MM WIDE X 203MM HIGH

there is a dispensation for cars without a big enough aperture for a standard uk plate...

NSXGB
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
to be fully legal, they need the name and post code of the manufacturer. if they don't have these they are 'show plates' and don't need a log book at purchase!

I never knew that. With the age of our cars in general, how do they know the plates were not made before this legislation came in. None of my plates have this info on, but that's because I bought them from fancyplates.com

britlude
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
fancyplates would have sold them as show-plates, the only way mail-order can sell them

the idea was to stop you buying a set of fake plates, sticking them on a similar car and driving around undetected.

However, no-one thought of unscrupulous people just buying plate making kits, or just stealing (2 screws or a pull against the sticky tape) the number plates off a parked car. pointless legislation

i bought mine at a show, correct spacings font and size, but technically illegal (if i bought them after the legislation.....) because they don't have the name and post code... as i didn't have my log book with me anyway.....

Tokyo-Joe
13-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you all for your help, I have purchased a replacement rear plate from Fancy Plates so will see if I get into any issues without running with the manufacturers details on the bottom of the plate.

britlude
13-10-2012, 06:29 PM
you won't have problems if the font is correct... There's no way to prove the plates weren't made before the rules changed. The makers name and post code are usually tiny anyway!