PDA

View Full Version : The Silver 52 NSX on Pistonheads / Autotrader

Accelera Comigo
19-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Gentlemen

There has been a silver NSX for sale over the winter at James Gordon in Chipping Ongar.

Here is the link:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/58764.htm
If that fails : Pistonheads, Classifieds, Honda, NSX

Do any of you know about the car or any reason why I shouldn't buy it?

Ta

Accelera Comigo

sportyking
19-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I know a number of people from here have looked at it with apparently serious interest, but it hasn't sold!

It obviously has a serious flaw, the front lights are stuck up :D

Accelera Comigo
20-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah.

I had a 1991 black with cream for six wonderful years and would love another NSX. I must admit poppy up headlights were exciting in a gadgety kind of way. Progress I guess.

Even when thrashed daily my 91 did 100,000 miles in 13 years and never put a foot wrong except for ball joint replacement which cost a small fortune. Even the major belts service was under £600 - you try running a Porsche or a Ferrari every day and see what the costs are. I had a 328 for 18 months, then I was cured.

Amazing car the NSX. I am a mechanical engineer so have a passion for all things mechanical - the car was designed and hand built by people who know EXACTLY what they are doing. Every journey was special.

Accelera Comigo

Senninha
20-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I remember reading that someone here went to see this 'clean NSX' but ended up dissapointed. (couldn't find the original thread).
From memory, its bodywork needs some tlc that you wouldn't expect for the age.

Papalazarou
20-02-2006, 01:04 PM
I remember reading that too.
Have you seen the white one for sale? It says the only white one available but I've seen at least two others advertised in that colour.

James.

Senninha
20-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Yep, saw the white advertised last week and thought the same as you ref the only one. Not sure about the red leather interior??

The problem I have with this one, is that despite being the 3.2 manual, at £33k its very close to the price of some facelift models which have really grown on me.

wukfitz
20-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I remember reading that someone here went to see this 'clean NSX' but ended up dissapointed. (couldn't find the original thread).
From memory, its bodywork needs some tlc that you wouldn't expect for the age.

That was posted by Baz on this thread

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Halfway down the first page.

Papalazarou
20-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree, there's not much difference in price. I really like the facelift and had considered trading up to a later version but not sure what you're really getting for the extra outlay?
OK, another gear, a bit more torque, slightly bigger brakes and a new nose and tail!
I know they've made other changes like a different grade of aluminium to make the body more rigid and other subtle bits here and there but I'm not sure that's worth another 10K more than mine just to drive something newer with a few less miles on it.
However, If I had the money I'd probably do it! I'm so shallow :roll:

AR
20-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I agree, there's not much difference in price. I really like the facelift and had considered trading up to a later version but not sure what you're really getting for the extra outlay?
OK, another gear, a bit more torque, slightly bigger brakes and a new nose and tail!
I know they've made other changes like a different grade of aluminium to make the body more rigid and other subtle bits here and there but I'm not sure that's worth another 10K more than mine just to drive something newer with a few less miles on it.
However, If I had the money I'd probably do it! I'm so shallow :roll:

I am planning to upgrade my 99 3.2 manual. At 33k miles, it makes no sense to spend extra money in getting another car when for £ 5K or so I can get the car facelifted.

Cheers

AR

MR786
22-02-2006, 02:34 PM
I went to see this car about a month ago. It has had a lot of paintwork, which I thought was primarily front and rear bumper, I was told it had one elderly owner who lived in London (subsequently verfied) and that it had had some bumps and scrapes. Also the interior was very scriffy, and one of the seat backs needed replacing as it looked as if it had been mauled by an animal! The documentation was all there, albeit very tatty, and the document wallet was missing, as was the interior ashtray.

I came close to buying it, and agreed a price subject to an inspection by Chiswick Honda. Once booked in, Ivan told me they had previously quoted for a replacement nosecone on the car, but the work had not been done there. Obvious really as the tow hook cover does not fit properly. Post-inspection the bodyshop manager told me I should walk away, and that this was not a car they would buy. He said it would cost me about £5k to return the car to pristine condition, and that as far as he could tell the only areas which did not have paint/bodywork were the roof and bootlid.

I subsequently walked away, although they did confirm the car was mechanically fine, other than needing a service.

Hope this helps.

Accelera Comigo
23-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Guys,

A big thank you for your condition reports, I too will be walking away.

Accelera Comigo

DanTheMan
09-03-2006, 05:43 PM
A big hello to all on the forum. I have been following it for a while but never posted anything. I felt I should say something about this one though, I went to see it a couple of months ago:

BUYER BEWARE !!! It drives OK but don't be fooled - they all do.

I reckon it has been hit front and rear, as witnessed by badly fitted PU's at both ends. Someone has sprayed the wings, doors, front and rear with what looks like silver noddy cans from Halfords. There are runs of wet paint down the rear wings for god sake! The wheels are refinished to cover kerb rash and the interior needs some serious work.

What lurks beneath that paint? What suspension damage did it suffer?How much to recover seats etc.? How much will it cost to replace the necessary body panels and two PU's, repaint the whole car and buy a set of wheels for it? £20K? £25K? What is a repainted NSX worth when you have finished all that work?

DanTheMan

AR
02-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Good thing we have good members here on NSXCB that prevented me form wasting a three hour trip on a car like this. It has resurface again, at a higher price on autotrader.