View Full Version : Pistonheads NSX 'Spotted' article

WhyOne?
25-09-2012, 11:38 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26414

Sudesh
25-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Here we go again lol

The love and the bashing will start once more on PH.

mjames75
25-09-2012, 01:45 PM
always the same stories and reviews etc!

AR
25-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Bit tiresome but is the usual stuff.

Lots of people without a clue about NSX or NSX-R etc.

TheSebringOne
25-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I quite like Mr Harris, I didn't think the article was all that bad, some good but some negative?

WhyOne?
26-09-2012, 06:45 AM
I agree. At least he dared to express a few of his own opinions based on first-hand experience.

I have just read the story 'comments' and they are overwhelmingly well informed and positive about the NSX IMHO.

Papalazarou
26-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I agree. At least he dared to express a few of his own opinions based on first-hand experience.

I have just read the story 'comments' and they are overwhelmingly well informed and positive about the NSX IMHO.

Yes, really not bad. Just the predictable stuff that comes up every time; the bland interior comments from the unimaginative press of the past. And of course, the bitter and twisted ex-owner price grumblings.
Apart from that. Actually pretty good.
Funny how the 348 always rears its head. I agree with some of the comments comparing these two cars is really a hiding to nothing.

Cheers.

NSX 2000
26-09-2012, 10:06 AM
always the same stories and reviews etc!

Yes, really not bad. Just the predictable stuff that comes up every time; the bland interior comments from the unimaginative press of the past. And of course, the bitter and twisted ex-owner price grumblings.
Apart from that. Actually pretty good.
Funny how the 348 always rears its head. I agree with some of the comments comparing these two cars is really a hiding to nothing.

Cheers.

Are you one and the same person?

NSX 2000
26-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Reading all the posts I think there are one or two people posting who are NSX owners but who have not said they are.

It always amazes me how many people right in depth posts about a car that they have never driven.

flyingsniffer
26-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I met Chris at Jarama ciruit near Madrid when he was let loose on a prototype Toyota GT86 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g (it's me on the pit wall at 3.56! My company ran the press event). Clearly the GT86 is his sort of car: he really liked the fact that it was more about the drive experience than outright speed/power - that's why we chose Jarama as it's a twisty 'handling' circuit.

With that in mind I'm surprised that he isn't even more enthused by the NSX as they are both - to my mind - all about the driver not the interior/brand blah blah. Having said that, the Honda isn't a 'drifter's' car: my experience is that the GT86 is much more progressive in letting go, whereas the NSX tends to 'snap' into oversteer - no doubt it's a front vs mid engine thing.

I wonder if he'd recommend a new GT86 or a late 90's NSX for someone with £25k burning a hole in his pocket!

Nick Graves
26-09-2012, 10:17 AM
If one studies a car's engineering in depth, one can often produce a good synopsis about it without actually driving it; maybe I was over-tutored by LJKS...

However it's clear that a lot of 2p's there are from people who can only judge very superficially through their eyes.

Papalazarou
26-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Are you one and the same person?

Not me Paul. I think you'll find he'd a newish NSX owner.

Cheers.

mjames75
26-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Not me Paul. I think you'll find he'd a newish NSX owner.

Cheers.

I am different person, but hey, great minds think alike

NSX100
26-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I am different person, but hey, great minds think alike

It's actually quite badly written which is a disappointment and contradictory. He begins by questioning whether the NSX should be compared to the 348 and then states the obvious that the 348 was one of the worst cars Ferrari made. But unless one assumes that the worst Ferrari is better than everything else, how can he then say how good is the NSX after saying that it was a "failure". At the end of the piece I still don't know the answer to his own question.

sorepaws
26-09-2012, 04:58 PM
DO I care what anyone else thinks about the NSX ? Not really, I have had so many people come up to me at various events interested in the car, few of whom beleive its over 21 years old and walk away wishing they could own one.

They arnt making them anymore so whatever happens they will become more desirable. Ferraris have their place as well, after all, who else would we be able to point to and say "Honda made you make decent reliable cars" ?

As one person said to me "I bought one when I was working in France, it was the best car I have had and I have regretted selling it ever since"

Besides I can't afford to own a Ferrari and it's associated service costs !

Maybe it's just one of those "marmite" cars ?

Deep joy :-D

Nick Graves
26-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I met Chris at Jarama ciruit near Madrid when he was let loose on a prototype Toyota GT86 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g (it's me on the pit wall at 3.56! My company ran the press event). Clearly the GT86 is his sort of car: he really liked the fact that it was more about the drive experience than outright speed/power - that's why we chose Jarama as it's a twisty 'handling' circuit.

With that in mind I'm surprised that he isn't even more enthused by the NSX as they are both - to my mind - all about the driver not the interior/brand blah blah. Having said that, the Honda isn't a 'drifter's' car: my experience is that the GT86 is much more progressive in letting go, whereas the NSX tends to 'snap' into oversteer - no doubt it's a front vs mid engine thing.

I wonder if he'd recommend a new GT86 or a late 90's NSX for someone with £25k burning a hole in his pocket!

You're in Buntingford? Recognise this?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2012-02-04005-1.jpg

What I will say is that in 'Sport' mode, it has a similar throttle response & nanny response to the NSX. They 'feel' slightly similar.

The NSX has better soundproofing and generally feels like a much more expensive car.

The 86 is faaar easier to get sideways and is far less likely to bite you if you get it all crossed-up - especially in the wet. The stupid, squealy tyres are great hooligan fun and the steering not twirly. It's also vastly more practical than an NSX, but won't hold anything like the value. Mind you, there's still five years to run on the warranty, so...

In many respects, it's most like a cross between an S2000 and a Prelude, and a Prelude feels a bit like an NSX with the engine moved.

But in reality, you'd need both an NSX and an 86. But also an S2000 and a Prelude, too, come to that...they all have their unique appeal.

But if you've only the £25K, nothing feels as special or as capable as an NSX. That sense of rareness & occasion and the sheer speed of it.

flyingsniffer
26-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I recognise the junction! I live about 5 miles from there.

Good call having both in the stable. Sadly as I live up the end of a concrete track I need a 4WD for the winter months when everything around here is caked in s**t.

I agree with you completely on the GT86/NSX comparison. In a way they are of the same genre, but in other ways they are completely different and both a bit marmite. I had the money, but the itch was for an NSX. So I scratched it! But credit to the Toyota/Subaru engineers: they got the balance of the GT86 just right. Putting it on Prius tyres...stroke of genius.

Problem Child
29-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Already have myself an NSX and I am in similar situation in that I am considering a new car with a budget of c£25k. Been to see:

2010 Porsche Cayman
Subaru BRZ
Toyota GT86
Nissan 370z

Servicing/ maintenance on the Porker concerns me. The Subaru dealership pi55ed me off with their couldnt care less" attitude so I thought I'd go and see the GT86 instead. I'd say its better finished off than the BRZ but not much in it but main observation was that they both seemed to be built to achieve a price point and some of the finsihing touches seem very poor. I'd rate the GT86 above the BRZ but would rate the NSX above them all. My preferences would be:

1) My current NSX
2) a second NSX
3) 370z
4) GT86
5) Cayman
6) Scooby

Just my preference but having looked at them all today, thats how I feel

Out_of_Sync
04-10-2012, 11:27 AM

That looks just like the one I passed on the M1 last Saturday morning at about 9am.

Whoever it was I gave you a little wave in the hope of playing (was in my 355 on a long journey to Scotland) but you didn't want to play! Maybe next time, eh?

Silver Surfer
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
That looks just like the one I passed on the M1 last Saturday morning at about 9am.

Whoever it was I gave you a little wave in the hope of playing (was in my 355 on a long journey to Scotland) but you didn't want to play! Maybe next time, eh?

Could be Duncan and partner on their way to the Pancake run.

SS