PDA

View Full Version : Which poilsh do we use?

Papalazarou
13-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I thought this one had probably been covered but couldn't find it in the search.

So, Which polish does everyone use?

Personally, I started using AutoGlym which I consider a good general polish for protection, but also for gettin rid of the odd scratch as it has a bit of cut in it.
I then started using AutoGlym as a first stage then lifeshine polish as a kind of finishing gloss (The one they put on new cars - I have a secret supply).
Now I'm using a carnuba wax which seems to deepen the shade of the red bodywork.

I went to a concours show a while back where some people were using Zymol but I can't justify the expense.

James.

TheQuietOne
13-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I use the red Autoglym 'Super Resin' I think, and do it most weeks, which seems to keep it looking really glossy, and the red really fresh.

I keep meaning to use the gold one but never seem to have time!

Out of interest do you think that (special secret polish stuff) had any bearing on the difference between your car colour and UltraViolet's last month? Did you do any more research on the change in Formula Red's after that?

Cheers,

Matt.

sportyking
13-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I used to use the Autoglym Super resin, topped off with extra Gloss protection stuff they do. Good polish for the dosh and made my IOP S2000 gleam. Then when the NSX turned up it was as if I saw a leap forward in polish technology. I keep meaning to ask the Honda dealer what they used as it really brought out the Pearl coat in the paint and water just can't get near it. Most Honda dealers use Autoglym, but this can't be!

At the same time as collecting the car I bought some Meguires NXT technology car wash which is a fantastic product. On the strength of this, I bought some Meguires Gold Class polish and did a couple of panels last weekend but was not that impressed as it came up no better and less "pearly" than "at least" two month old previous polish. When I have got rid of it, which wont take long if I slap it over all my vehicles, I will try the NXT polish they do in case it works better with the car wash.

simonprelude
13-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Polish, clean the car ??

Have some meguirs, going to use it in the summer.

AR
13-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Zymol titanium works well on mine, I tried a lot of the generic stuff and most of it is great at leaving a good polish, but it does not last.

Cheers

AR

98NSX-T
14-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Detailing Dynamics here in the US has some great products. They are a relatively new company. One of the owners/partners, Mike Lee is an NSX owner from Northern California and a sponsor of club events. They also contribute to NSX Driver regularly. Mike gave us a show and tell detailing day here in Sacramento and we/I were impressed with his products especially the Ultimate Cleaning on darker color cars. As you all know, it's all in the prep work and less in the actual product used.

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

For final wax, I have found the 3M Perfect-it Show Paste Wax to be excellent - again especially on darker color cars. The 3M is superior to Meguires Gold which is a good product; I use it on my lighter color cars. I am sure Zymol is a good prodcut as well but I too can't justify the asking price.

FYI, my 98-T is black/tan. YMMV.

Papalazarou
14-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Matt,

Out of interest do you think that (special secret polish stuff) had any bearing on the difference between your car colour and UltraViolet's last month? Did you do any more research on the change in Formula Red's after that?

Right well according to the paint code, they're exactly the same, but they're obviously different although Ultraviolet said that her car had a lot of wax on it.

Anyway I've compared a lot of pictures recently, including the photoshoot taken of my car and a 2001 model just before I bought it and they were exactly the same colour.
however, since I started using wax the paint does seem a slightly darker shade although this could be my imagination?
The only conclusion I can come to is that they did subtley change the colour at some point?

James.

Nick Graves
14-02-2006, 10:41 AM
So the NSX gang clearly don't suffer from OCD like the S2K gang! :D

You must all have lives, or something!

My car's black, so I think I've got an excuse.

I use the 3-stage Meguiars, followed by Collinite Wax.

The 'best' products seem to be Zaino (especially effective on NFR).

P21S is the 'best' wax, and far less like hard work, apparently.

Mr_Spanners
14-02-2006, 12:11 PM
If you "like" waxing your car on a regular basis then using what's known as a cleaner wax isn't a good idea. Products like Super Resin Polish contain distilates (cutting agents) that basically strip contaminants from the bodywork but also particles of paint! :shock:

There's a huge number of debates on Prime (and even more on S2K) about waxing\cleaning but the safest and most durable approach seems to be to use a cleaner followed by carnauba wax and then for the purist a top coat sealant.

P21s (Carnauba Wax) is a great product at a great price and Collinite #845 is a the doggies when it comes to clear coat! If you're after ease of use then Zymol Japon is fantastic and smells great too!!! :D Oh, Meguiars also do some good stuff for sensible money!

Hope it's OK to give a company a plug on here (here goes anyway!) ...I've been buying my cleaning\waxing kit from Serious Performance for the past couple of years and the main man Alex is very helpful\knowledgeable!

www.seriousperformance.co.uk

~Phil.

markc
14-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm a Zaino man these days. :D

Usually get it on the S2K group buys.

Used to use Zymol and although it, and Carnuba "waxes" in general are accepted by most to produce the deepest/wettest/shiniest/bestest finish, they just don't last long enough.

If you haven't got one yet the "spritzer" products like Zaino Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer Spray" and Zymol "Detail Spray" get one, they're are brilliant.
8)
If the car isn't actually dirty but is maybe dusty from being in the garage or pollen has settled on it. No need to wash the car, just spritz and towell it off section by section. Saves you hours.

Mark (with OCD and no life :P )

Papalazarou
14-02-2006, 05:58 PM
So the NSX gang clearly don't suffer from OCD like the S2K gang! :D
You must all have lives, or something!

You're sooo wrong if you think we have lives! I've only been a memeber of NSXCB since October and I can't believe how much time I spend on this forum! It was really nice of you to infer we did though :)

I've heard a lot about Zaino but didn't think it was available in the UK?
Also, a question for AR: How much does the Zymol cost? I thought you needed a credit agreement to afford that stuff!

Finally, to MrSpanners: I've been using AutoGlym as a base cleaner, and this is a resin polish, do you think this is too harsh to use regularly?

James.

Greybloke
14-02-2006, 06:58 PM
OCD?????

= Often cleaning disorder :wink:

I've recently discovered Meguiars, and have the 3 stage pack to apply when we get a good dry day. One of their products I've been impressed with is the swirl remover.

osiris_x11
14-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I've found surface prep. to be key step in terms of what the result will be.

Do you guys use a clay-bar/lube once or twice a year (if your NSX sees the elements year-round)? This is essential for a self-detail session.

Also, have you removed/stripped all the old wax/polish? Household dishwashing soap works the best for this, hehe... :lol:

When I clay/lube annually, that's basically the only time I use paint-cleaner/compound and polish/glaze. As aforementioned above by others, these contain micro-abrasives that will wear down the clear-coat if they are over-zealously used.

Meguiars Gold Class is a carnuba-based wax available either as paste or liquid. Meguiars NXT is a polymer-based synthetic sealant (essentially a wax) which actually can be used on top of carnuba-based waxes! So after using any Zymol wax or Meguiar's wax (or anyother carnuba-based wax), you can use Meguiars NXT to seal in the deep gloss & reflective look ascertained by carnuba-preparations and then benefit w/ the long-lasting shine and paint-finish protection from the synthetic sealant.

Canuba-based wax needs 24-28hrs to 'cure' before another application can be applied, for those who like to "layer". {So I heard from others...}

Zaino is a synthetic, polymer-based sealant system; albeit a bit more involved!

markc
14-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Osiris you sound like you've got the car wax OCD's :D

I do the whole "Liquid Dawn" (Fairy Liguid), Clay bar with Z-7 to lube, Z-7 wash, Z-1, Z-5, Z-2, Z-6 every year over a dry Spring weekend :D

Thereafter it's Z-7 washes when it needs one with Z-6 to buff the finish and the occassional Z-2 + Z-6 when I've got the time or inclination.

I don't even do enough miles to get the damn thing dirty, but it needs to look it's best 8)

Anyone reading this think I'm barking, look here for even more detail... http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=APPLICATION

Went through the similar Zymol system with my previous ride (993 Carrera) and the finish simply doesn't last as long, even when you don't use the car? :?
So it's polymer based "wax" for me from now on.

Mark

Nick Graves
15-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh, I've flushed 'em out now! I thought there was a correlation between Honda appreciation and OCD! :D

Yes, instant detailer is superb for freshening up the polish.

Yes, rubbing a gay bar over your car first does have an incredible effect.

My car's a bit of a garage queen, but putting NXT over the Collinite sounds like a great idea!

Papalazarou
15-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Wow! that Zaino procedure looks pretty complicated!

I'm almost tempted to give it a try! But at $97.00 + carriage I may have to save up!

I suppose the Question is; will it make a considerable difference?

James.

Mr_Spanners
15-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Finally, to MrSpanners: I've been using AutoGlym as a base cleaner, and this is a resin polish, do you think this is too harsh to use regularly?

James.

IMHO, I wouldn't use a cleaner (resin) wax on my car as any product that contains petroleum distilates can harm the clear coat and paint (check the colour of the cloth when you've finished polishing!!!)

Zymol titanium works well on mine, I tried a lot of the generic stuff and most of it is great at leaving a good polish, but it does not last.

Carnauba has also been criticised for it's lack of longevity but it can last a good few months of daily driving IF you let it cure properly before buffing. Most people use the 'wipe on - wipe off' approach which isn't correct with carnauba waxes.

The Zaino vs Zymol debate has been raging for years. I've never used Zaino but I have used Zymol Japon and been VERY impressed with it. You need to use a cleaner before waxing and this is called HD Cleanse (smells like chocolate!!) and then apply the wax afterwards. Price wise it's £44.00 for the Japon wax and £22.00 for the HD cleanse from the UK supplier but better value at £99 is the starter kit which includes a microfibre cloth, application sponges, car shampoo, leather cleaner along with the HD Cleanse and Japon Wax.

http://www.zdouk.com/starterkits.aspx

Oh, there are these guys in the States who are MUCH cheaper but you "may" get stung for duty!!!

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/brands/zymol.html?id=GoQZaxZ6

HD cleanse and Japon is $70usd (£40 at the current rate) plus shipping

If you want to buy P21s in the UK (another great carnauba product) then you'll need the cleanser and wax...

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/sp/products/polish_wax.php

£17.99 for thew P21s Wax
£9.99 for the pre-wax cleanser

... and for the OCDs amongst us there's the Collinite #845 at £15.99 as a top coat.

Hope this all helps!?

~Phil.

mutley
19-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Right, I'll try and keep this short, but may end up a bit long winded - Last week I had to put my 520 into the BM dealer to sort out an ABS/traction control problem. As always after the repair, BMW gave it the full valet job, and I have to say that when I picked it up, I have never seen it so shiny. I have used a myriad of polished on this car over many years, and I've never been able to get the finish as good as it was when I picked it up. I have a mate who works for BMW so a swift phone call later he told me they have their own stuff and he'll get me some. When I get a chance to go home to collect it, I'll try it on the NSX and let you all know how it looks.

OPT
19-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I normally use Autoglym super resin polish but i've recently changed to Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (black one) which has been designed for dark colours and the result is pretty impressive.

Senninha
20-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Well if anyone here had six numbers at the weekend, you could always go for this option.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=13152

or not :shock:

Papalazarou
20-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I bought a clay bar at the weekend! I'm so excited!! :shock:

James.

Mr_Spanners
20-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I bought a clay bar at the weekend! I'm so excited!! :shock:

James.

http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar

Oh sorry, you said "CLAY" bar!! :wink:

~Phil.

Greybloke
20-02-2006, 05:19 PM
After trying various treatments over the years, and sticking with Autoglym for some time, I've recently discovered Meguiars products which are now begining to be available in the UK. I used the 3 stage system.
1= Cleaner
2= Wax
3= Polish

I spent only 3 hours on Saturday cleaning and then applying the 3 stages with the following results.

Not too bad for a 15 year old car :D although I'm sure I could do better with more time.

Oh it smells nice too :roll:

Papalazarou
20-02-2006, 06:14 PM
It's sooo beautiful.

I bought the three stage thing on saturday but it's been raining for the last three days so haven't been able to try it.

your car looks fantastic though, even the nosecone looks mirror like (and the same colour as the body!)

Can't wait to try it.

James.

P.s, no more gay-bar jokes, save them for the garage queens! :lol:
P.P.s, just watched the video on the link, that's the funniest thing I've seen for weeks!
P.P.s, Just watched the hedgehot song on the same link....didn't know there were so many words for the female genitalia?!!

Greybloke
20-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Just found the meguiars site link:

www.meguiars.co.uk/

Also worth looking here for your supplies http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PERFORMANCE-MOTORCARE-PRODUCTS
Happy cleaning :wink:

Senninha
20-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I'd say that was 3 hours well spent, your car looks great!

Just need to get those OEM wheels to have her back to her very best.

Regards

Papalazarou
10-04-2006, 08:00 AM
hi kidz,

I tried the clay-bar approach on saturday and was very impressed with the results.
I clean my car regularly, but was amazed by how much dirt ended up on the clay bar. The result was a shiney smooth finish even before polish.

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
looking gorgeous as always James (I'm talking about the car before the gaybar jokes reprise!) the paintwork on your car is among the best I've seen and is an example to us all ;)

look forward to seeing it in the flesh again soon :D

Greybloke
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
James, looks so nice :D

Just your garage to sort out now :wink:

Papalazarou
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys,

it's definately improving. Just need to concentrate on a few details and I'll be happy. :)

Cheers,

James.

Kevin
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Well I think you're going to freak out when I tell what I did last week.

First start with 2500 wet and dry paper. Rub panels with it, with water to clean. Keep rubbing until paint is smooth.

Apply Farecla compound paste using firm foam mop on a 1200w rotary machine, lubricate with water. Buff to a shine.

Follow up with Farecla Extra Fine liquid compound, with a soft foam mop, with water.

Finally, apply 3M swirl mark remover for dark cars, with the soft mop and machine, buff to an incredible shine.

After that with plenty of rinsing (hose pipe ban has come at a really bad time), two coats of Zymol Carbon wax.

Why the paper? It was to level down the spraypaint after a repair. Only did that on two panels.

The whole car was buffed with the extra fine compound.

I wouldn't do this everyday, but after 14 years I think it was time. I have used all the products under the sun, and nothing has got the paint down so smooth. Also this has buffed out all the 'scratches' or 'swirls' from hand washing and polishing. The paint is like new now, aside from the deeper marks, but I am happy to leave them, rather then risk rubbing the paint away!

Nothing though was quite as worrying as sanding down paint, till it's mat black, and hoping that the pastes will make it shine again.

Mr_Spanners
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Although it might sound drastic to many there's nothing wrong with 'flatting' with 2500 after having paintwork done (as long as you keep the panel wet at all times!). Sadly very few paintshops nowadays do this (you mostly get a gun finish) properly as it takes too much time and effort (and cost!).

The 'wet mop' is what most older cars need though - using a good cutting agent and polish with the rotary works wonders and when you seal in that 'as new' paintwork with a good quality hand glaze (wax!) then you're going to be looking at a seriously shiny car for a good long while!!! :D

Got any before and after pics Kevin?

~Phil.

Kevin
11-04-2006, 08:20 PM
No, no pics. I took it out on Sunday, and of course it rained, so now its filthy.

It could do with more sanding. I only did a small section, in case I couldn't polish it back.

The paint has never looked so 'black' and as smooth as it is now, and all the minute surface scratches are almost gone.

TheQuietOne
18-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Got the 3 stage system from Maguires yesterday, and the mist and claybar kit too - along with some microfibre clothes and the shampoo and conditioner (the latter greeted with great hilarity by my girlfriend until she saw the receipt!), and am now trying to work out when I can fit all this cleaning in!

Hope to join the excessively shiny red brigade this week!

Matt.

simonprelude
18-04-2006, 01:34 PM
You know you just like the smell of it :)

If people need more micro fibre towels I can ask if my usual supplier can get hold of any more.

the mist and claybar kit too

TheQuietOne
18-04-2006, 01:39 PM
You got me :wink:

Senninha
24-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Spent yesterday in the garage (April Showers!) with the Maguiars kit and I'm very pleased with the results. After overcoming the nerves of rubbing the clay bar all over the paintwork (did do a test area first) I was amazed how good the paint looked.

Followed this with the cleaner, wax (hand applied) and clear coat and now the pearl really stands out (or will when the sun comes back out :roll: )

Matt, have you joined the shiny red club yet?

Simon,

I'm interested in the towels too please. Any chance of sorting for Silverstone??

Here's an example of how the paint looks now in what little sun there's been!

regards

FRM70
27-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I have just picked up a three stage concours polishing kit, it includes a clay bar & lube spray, paint cleanser & carnuba wax, the chap who runs the company also gave me a half hour demo on how to use the kit correctly, he did a small section of my rear wing and it comes up amazing 8) ,
It looks like my weekends are going to be very busy for a while :D

Senninha
27-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I certainly give the Maguires clay and 3 part the thumbs up :)

TheQuietOne
28-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Matt, have you joined the shiny red club yet?

No. I am closer though, sitting now looking at the car, and trying to work out how I can get all my work done, do all the washing up cook dinner for 7 and at very least have a go at the roof to start off with on mine. Wil all be done by the end of Monday though - I wil post pics of her once she is clean and shiny!

Just so I understand the dreadful Maguires instruction right, do I wash first, then dry. Rub all over witht the clay bar, lubiricating with the spray that came with it. Then apply the 3 stage kit in order finally buffing on the 3rd wax stage? It is therefore basically a 5 stage process?! Are there any buffing bits inbetween?

Cheers, Matt.

Senninha
28-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Matt,

The process for me was;

Wash & Leather whole car and wheels
Mist and clay bar by panel, towel drying as you go
Apply paint cleaner, allow to dry and wipe off (buffing no1)
Apply wax, allow to dry and wipe off (buffing no2)
Apply clear coat, allow to dry and wipe off (buffing no3)

The end result should be the smoothest paintwork you've ever had, a deep shine and good reflective qualities.

As with any polish, I found it best to use sparingly at each stage otherwise it will take longer to dry and be harder to buff.

Good luck!

TheQuietOne
28-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks that was what I had in mind! Did you complete each panel with the 4 stages before going on to the next? I think you did from the description but just to make sure!

Thanks, Matt.

TheQuietOne
28-04-2006, 05:44 PM
OK, the roof is done!

Pretty pleased with it actually, a few scratches that need a bit more work, but for a flat black paint you can actually see yourself like a mirror in it. And here are two pics to prove I'm not telling porkies :wink:

I hope to have the whole car done by Monday!

Cheers, Matt.

Senninha
28-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Matt,

That roof looks fantastic!!

I used the clay panel by panel, but did the other stages on the complete car.

enjoy your weekend :lol:

regards

FRM70
30-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I've just spent five hours with the clay, cleanser & carnuba and the car is looking fantastic, well worth the effort , somehow a very shiny car always feels better to drive ! 8)

As usual it started to rain after my five hour session so I haven't taken any pics but I'll try when the 8) comes out again.

FRM70

SailBad
10-06-2006, 09:08 PM
A zymol-mad friend of mine just spent a day on my p&j...