PDA

View Full Version : Everyone wants to race!

Papalazarou
13-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Yesterday afternoon I decided to take a leisurely cruise down the coast in my NSX.
Unfortunately however, I was tailgated on two seperate occassions, once by a 545i BM then by a TT. When I say tailgated I mean they were uncomfortably close.
The TT was quite entertaining though because I lost him through the bends, let him catch up then hit hyperdrive on the next straight. It was great to watch him disapear then limp past me once I'd backed off on the dual carriageway. :twisted:

Does anyone else get this problem?

James.

Baz
13-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I've only had my NSX a week or so and yes, I have already experienced a few occassions when I have been 'pushed'. As I am, shall we say, past the boy racer age I just let them pass and then find they usually slow down because they do not want to continue at 90 mph. I therefore end up sitting behind them which I find quite amusing. My 03 is Ascari Red and so I suppose I look like I'm asking for a race!

Baz

sportyking
13-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I could be wrong here but in my limited experience with the car I don't think it is that they want to race as such, but they do want to see how fast the car is if that makes any sense.

I agree they up uncomfortably close to have a look and on the odd occaision when I have bothered to open it up to gain clear room the said drivers rarely attempt to nail their cars in a race type action. They speed up to stay in touch for longer but don't go into nutter mode.

The other thing I notice is that fast drivers often slow up for a good nose around before passing slowly and then belting off again. I find this quite satisfying to know that an old car can command such interest.

That said there is always the one dick in a 3 series BMW that you passed 2-3 miles previously doing a steady xx mph :D

TheQuietOne
13-02-2006, 06:49 PM
So far the only real 'race' I have been enticed into was away from some lights by a girl in a new MX5 who at the next set of lights after I had given in and extended my right foot a little did her window down and shouted woooooohaaaaa in a cowboy style at the top of her voice!

I have had a few Porkers have a little go, but as I drive so slowly most of the time they seem to loose interest and drop back quite quickly. did have a little weak moment with an R32 the other day, which I think left him looking into the cost of NSX's on the web :wink:

I agree with Ritch about the slowing down to look thing, that happens much more than anything else, and is quite nice in a shallow kind of a way - for the car that is.

Apart from that the only other attention it gets regularly is the steady stream of kids walking past it outside the house who comment 'nice car Mr.' everytime they walk past, which I've learnt to thank rather than ignore - as it felt a bit odd at first!

Cheers,

Matt.

Flinty
13-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Only Civic Type R's and Astra Turbos !

Boyracers and reps alike tend to chase you, just to have a look at the car, which is nice.

However, (and only once i might add) when i'm flat out in 2nd, accelerating out of a roundabout (pulling away a little) and up into 3rd hard to the floor before 4th at the redline, and the blacked out Astra calmy undertakes on a wave of turbo torque and pulls out and away without even so much as a grin, no so nice. Me thinks it was a tweaked example by the badges - i do live in Essex but even so..... :shock:

Hey ho, time to get a Supercharger.

markc
14-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Doesn't happen often enough for me.... :cry:

Of course being of fairly advanced years with a maturity even beyond them, I find it easy to rise above such jouvenille behaviour. :wink:

The one time that I've capitulated so far was on the way back from the October "ON Track with Matt Neal" event at Donington. I had gotten off the M42 for fuel and when coming back on to the motorway a black Merc SL pulls up behind me.
Going down the slip road, the Merc goes to overtake and as he draws alongside I give it full beans. I ring out the NSX in 2nd and 3rd and the Merc "just" edges" past as we join the main carriageway... sounds absolutely awesome and turns out to be a SL 55 AMG!
Back on the M42 Merc gets bottled up behind a (much) slower vehicle so I pull up behind and select 2nd and therefore the VTEC zone.... slow car pulls over and AMG man gives it the gun.
I intoduce loud pedal to carpet and, surprisingly, stay right on his bumper not falling back an inch (but not gaining either) through 2nd, 3rd and deep into 4th via redline and whipcrack gear changes before it dawns on us how silly we're both being and we ease off.

I suspect that if he'd kept his foot in much longer those 479 Stuttgart (South) ponies would have started to tell, but then he'd have hit the 155mph limiter fairly soon as well.

I was most impressed with my cars ability against this well recognised dragster and hopefully AMG man gained a new respect for Honda's finest. 8)

Mark

Papalazarou
14-02-2006, 06:09 PM
He was so your bitch after that experience (sorry I thought I was on Prime for a second!). :oops:

I just can't believe how tractible the engine is though, especially when you consider it's low output compared to new stuff.

I drove back late at night with a mate with a GT4 (modified) and he said that on the straights I was pulling away pretty well.
I guess I was holding onto the gears for longer and getting immediate throttle response out of the corners.

definately loads of fun. :)

James.

frostos
16-02-2006, 08:21 PM
I expected this occaisionally but I was very annoyed to get dangerously inspected by some @rse***** in a skyline earliler this week. Especially as it was mid-morning on the motorway and I was driving (somewhat) sedately and suited up for work.

To pass me, slow right down and then tailgate me once I continued past him (and I mean tailgate within a foot) was getting pretty dangerous. :evil:

On other occaisions I have found the attention harmless fun - when done at a safe distance. Wow - I must be getting all sensible since I traded up from my boy-racer S2000. Not. :lol:
Chris.

AJI
21-02-2006, 08:48 PM
You'd all be bothered if nobody wanted to 'race'. ;-)
It happens in my car also (not and NSX by the way), and it simply shows that people see a fast car on the road and want to see it go fast.

The only problem is that some people do tailgate which is very dangerous and I have given hand signals in the past to get people to back off. But the actual interest factor from other road users in wanting to see a GT/sports car being driven as it was intended, is no negative thing IMO.

TheQuietOne
22-02-2006, 09:03 AM
You'd all be bothered if nobody wanted to 'race'. ;-)
It happens in my car also (not and NSX by the way), and it simply shows that people see a fast car on the road and want to see it go fast.

The only problem is that some people do tailgate which is very dangerous and I have given hand signals in the past to get people to back off. But the actual interest factor from other road users in wanting to see a GT/sports car being driven as it was intended, is no negative thing IMO.

What are you driving out of interest?

AJI
23-02-2006, 12:01 PM
In the summertime I drive my 400+bhp Supra and in the winter time I drive my 300bhp Celica GT-four.
:-)

TheQuietOne
23-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Safe to say you're into fast Toyotas then! :wink:

Nick Graves
23-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree, the Saxo boys just want a look. (The old see the S-car-go joke in my case!)

They tend to be a bit foolhardily enthusisatic, rather than negatively aggressive, though.

The first roundabout usually sorts out the tailgating dicksplash in the old 3-series! Tail betwwen legs, methinks.

:D

OPT
24-02-2006, 05:05 AM
The first roundabout usually sorts out the tailgating dicksplash in the old 3-series! Tail betwwen legs, methinks.

:D

VERY TRUE!

06-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I tried to race a dick in a silver NSX at the ring once, but he just blew me off… :evil: bastard.
Wonder who it was? :wink:

:) Peter

06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Next time at the Ring I’ll get my friend Kevin to beat him up! :D