PDA

View Full Version : South East/ Midlands Sunday morning drive 2nd September 2012

Problem Child
17-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Anyone interested in a Sunday morning drive followed by lunch somewhere around the MK/ Chilterns/ Ashridge area. I don't really know the area too well so don't know the best roads and pubs. As a starter for 10 I was going to suggest meeting in Milton Keynes (as its nice and central) and either a) head up towards Silverstone/ Towcester or b) down into the Chilterns around Woburn Sands/ Millbrook and Ashridge..........after that???

Anyone interested?

Senninha
17-08-2012, 10:14 PM
2/10 must try harder Geoff ....

Grab yourself a map, and\or go for a drive to check for yourself, but if you're building a route you cold start East on the A507, or West on the A427 or A422

I've used these roads regularly in both my daily and the NSX and if you're going early then you can probably build a route to take in all of these ....

So, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to build your drive out route the finishes with a brunch \ lunch with decent parking.

Would be good to have a decent route to play in this region!

Alternatively, if you arrange for a Saturday you could build a route to Porsche at Silverstone http://www.porschehost.com/findus.asp?opc=5 where you could have coffee b4 returning to MK?? Just let them know you're coming ... the PH boys often visit.

Good luck, and if you get a route and venue sorted (dont post the route here), I'm happy to get this on the home page to help drum up more attendees

regards, Paul

Problem Child
17-08-2012, 11:17 PM
2/10 must try harder Geoff ....

Grab yourself a map, and\or go for a drive to check for yourself, but if you're building a route you cold start East on the A507, or West on the A427 or A422

I've used these roads regularly in both my daily and the NSX and if you're going early then you can probably build a route to take in all of these ....

So, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to build your drive out route the finishes with a brunch \ lunch with decent parking.

Would be good to have a decent route to play in this region!

Alternatively, if you arrange for a Saturday you could build a route to Porsche at Silverstone http://www.porschehost.com/findus.asp?opc=5 where you could have coffee b4 returning to MK?? Just let them know you're coming ... the PH boys often visit.

Good luck, and if you get a route and venue sorted (dont post the route here), I'm happy to get this on the home page to help drum up more attendees

regards, Paul

OK Here goes....

Meet at Honda Milton Keynes at 10:00 (Sunday 2nd September) before driving to Woburn Sands, Hockcliffe and then along the chilterns to Whipsnade before turning back up to Ivinghoe, going across country to Whitchurch and up to Buckingham. Then we head to the Whittlebury Park Hotel near Silverstone for a drink and a spot of lunch. This is a good venue as:

1) it has lots of parking
2) Is steeped in motoring history as many of the racing teams stay there for the Grand Prix so there is lots of memorabilia/ pictures on the walls etc in the bar.
3) Its also where I suggest we host our Annual NSX Club dinner so we can check it out

On BING Maps its a 55.7mile drive and would take just short of 2 hours

Anyone interested?

flyingsniffer
22-08-2012, 04:40 PM
OK Geoff, I'll join you. I'm coming along the A507 from Buntingford (itself a fine driving road, as long as the bikers haven't thrown themselves into the surrounding countryside or each other...).

Rob

Problem Child
24-08-2012, 07:24 AM
OK Geoff, I'll join you. I'm coming along the A507 from Buntingford (itself a fine driving road, as long as the bikers haven't thrown themselves into the surrounding countryside or each other...).

Rob

Well done that man. Look forward to seeing you then, Rob

Anyone else joining us?

Alf Tupper
24-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Gents - I'm up for this

Problem Child
24-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Gents - I'm up for this

and then there were three

Alf Tupper
Rob
Geoff

Problem Child
29-08-2012, 09:58 PM
and then there were three

Alf Tupper
Rob
Geoff

Anyone else up for this....weather forecast is good!

Problem Child
01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Anyone else up for this....weather forecast is good!

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at Honda MK at 1000am

Problem Child
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at Honda MK at 1000am

Nice drive. Started at Honda Milton Keynes 10:30
drove to Woburn Sands.....Home of Pristine Wheels. Good place to get your wheels refurbed.
On to Mentmore and a quick stop at Mark Webers pub restaurant (The Stag). Although it was closed I know its a good restaurant and Marks often around (but not on GP weekends!)
Across country to Whitchurch....where the Bouncing Bomb was invented
on to Buckingham and then Whittlebury Park Hotel where we saw the start to the GP.....Well Done Jensen!

A good mix of dual carriageways and nice (and some not so nice) country lanes. A great drive but maybe do it a bit earlier in the day next time so we can enjoy them without all the Sunday drivers!

Whittlebury Hall was a good venue, and might be worth a look for our annual bash (sorry to all Northeners!) so I will arrange to see one of their event managers to discuss.

Thanks to Rob and Fu for a great day! Rob can you send me the model number for your Ecoroute HD connector so I get the right one!

jpspringall
02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Geoff....

Went on my own little drive today, with a friend, who banned me from going over 4,000 RPM after a bout 10 minutes.....Fortunately i couldn't hear a word she was saying over 4,000 RPM.

She did manage to get her own back with the fateful words 'It's just down this country lane', and i have to confess there nothing quite as scary as coming up against a tractor!

And has anyone else found that Range Range Lights are just the right height to blind.....Thanks for the acknowledgement, but i'd rather see where I'm going!

James

Alf Tupper
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Enjoyed today, thanks guys.

Geoff - small world indeed, my brother sends his regards!

flyingsniffer
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Geoff, thanks for arranging yesterday. And Fu, good to meet you.

The EcoRoute you want is this: http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/how-it-works/how_ecoroute_hd_works.html. Check you have OBD II though: blanking plate is below the glove box.

Hooks up to either your Sat Nav or there is an Android app. Through the sat nav you can view error codes and reset if you feel confident enough! My P0141 (O2 sensor) hasn't reappeared. But through the app you can monitor/display more parameters

There are other OBD II bluetooth dongles and smartphone/iPhone apps.

Problem Child
03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Enjoyed today, thanks guys.

Geoff - small world indeed, my brother sends his regards!

Your brother is a top guy. Taught me everything I know on Excel..........he's a genius!