PDA

View Full Version : Brand new NSX-R

flyingsniffer
14-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Hope this hasn't been covered before, but if not, have a little drool over this beauty.

10 years old, but no mileage. Yours for £178k, plus import costs!

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU0743805211/index.html?TRCD=200002

Sudesh
14-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Hope this hasn't been covered before, but if not, have a little drool over this beauty.

10 years old, but no mileage. Yours for £178k, plus import costs!

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU0743805211/index.html?TRCD=200002

It's got 5000km!

AB5150
14-08-2012, 11:37 PM
KS Route just sold an R ( apparantly the last one ever made -2006 ) with 500km's on the clock - POA . A 1995 NSX-R at Toyko auction last week got passed in & that still had all the protective coverings on it when left factory - that had only 876 km's on the clock. Not bad for a 17 years old car ( um giant paperweight ).

flyingsniffer
15-08-2012, 05:27 AM
It's got 5000km!

My Japanese is a little limited! I thought it was 500km.

I was thrown by the '?' that you click to see the definition, where it says (according to Google Translate, anyway):

Km 0.0 万
If the actual mileage of 1000km or more, we have displayed rounded to the nearest hundreds place.

000km
If the actual mileage is less than 1000km, and then displays the actual driving distance.

So in theory
Km 0.5 万 is sort of neither of the above!

Sudesh
15-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I've been buying cars in Japan since the early 90s, and I follow NSX prices in Japan quite a bit, so got used to the way the advertise the cars and state the miles.

0.5 is 5000km

It would make allot think it was only 5km though or 500 as you though. Strange way, but it's the way lol

My Japanese is a little limited! I thought it was 500km.

I was thrown by the '?' that you click to see the definition, where it says (according to Google Translate, anyway):

Km 0.0 万
If the actual mileage of 1000km or more, we have displayed rounded to the nearest hundreds place.

000km
If the actual mileage is less than 1000km, and then displays the actual driving distance.

So in theory
Km 0.5 万 is sort of neither of the above!

Kaz-kzukNA1
15-08-2012, 12:59 PM
It’s like showing 60,000miles as 60K miles.

The character ‘ 万 ‘ stands for 10,000 hence 0.5万km means 5,000km.

Kaz

Lankstarr
15-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Bargain when compared to uk one! Why is underside of hood not exposed CF?

L*

Sudesh
16-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Bargain when compared to uk one! Why is underside of hood not exposed CF?

L*

Not a bargain when you add UK vat and customs duty etc. On a plus note though, 2002 NSX-R cars, will be easier to register now in the UK as they fall into the 10 year old bracket, so just require an MOT.

WhyOne?
16-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Why is underside of hood not exposed CF?

L*

Hood?

HOOD?!!?!!!!

Senninha
16-08-2012, 01:43 PM
The all white NSX has been for sale for over a year ... and has gone up quite a bit whilst not even being sold!

I would expect that Sudesh has records of the 'original' asking price ... IIRC it was ~£120k ....

Senninha
16-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Hood?

HOOD?!!?!!!!

I think he has moved to a new neighbourhood recently??

Lankstarr
16-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Da hood mo fo. Don't be dissing me or I'll come and knick your hubcaps.

Interesting on the 10 year old import scenario, still vat etc but makes it more realistic if anyone has funds and balls.

So why is the BONNET not cf underneath?

L*

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-08-2012, 10:58 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pzt98_ZBlsQ/UC7C8kEyCdI/AAAAAAAAEWw/s4Ugke1k35I/s800/R-hood.JPG

When you look at the back of the bonnet/hood, you are actually looking at two different parts as in the photo (not the meshed part but the gloss finish panel at the right side of the photo and the matt finish one at the upper half).

One is the outer bonnet/hood panel and the other one is the internal frame.

Both parts are made from dry carbon and bonded together using special know-how.

So, when you look at the hood from behind, the internal frame surface is coated whereas the back of the outer panel is not so you may find it not bare carbon at the back.

They are pre-preg dry carbon material and when Honda decided to use it on NSX-R, one of the goal to be achieved was the unprecedented durability under all sorts of environment conditions.
It also had to pass the manufacture’s own crush test criteria as well.

For your reference, on the outer panel, it has one layer of carbon/aramid (Kevlar) pre-preg added to the carbon pre-preg in case of unfortunate sudden impact and if I remember correctly, it is exposed at the back of air duct section so you may find even further difference there.

As we already experienced it by ourselves, aluminium body can easily survive more than 20 years without any special care by the owner so there is no way Honda can allow the carbon bonnet/hood and the rear spoiler to fail earlier than the rest of the body.

If the bare dry carbon was exposed to the direct sun light, it will change its characteristic.

Therefore, almost any dry carbon parts will be painted/coated unless one puts the highest priority on achieving the minimum weight and not applying the coating.
I think this is one of the reason why the top end custom made road racing cycle parts are in bare carbon without coating.

The carbon hood and rear spoiler have to survive against severe environment conditions as well as require consideration for the unfortunate accident so Honda had to carefully select the carbon material to be used and work together with one of the aero space manufacture to develop new production method.

Honda engineers wanted to show the real carbon pattern outside but there was no compromise when it comes to the durability.

Therefore, it had to be painted in a special way for protection.
For this part, Honda used 5 coats 5 baking process instead of 4 coats 4 baking that is used on the rest of the panels.

As a side note, Honda spent ages for testing these carbon materials at the bonnet/hood and the rear spoiler.

For the bonnet/hood, not only it was tested against the direct sun light, stone chip, wind, etc, it even tested the effect of snow sitting/attaching itself to the bonnet as well as entering the air duct.

You will be surprised to know the amount of test carried out by the production car manufactures before the actual car/parts becomes available on the market.

Kaz

NZNick
18-08-2012, 05:30 AM
^ Answer of the decade. Thanks Kaz.

TheSebringOne
20-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I can second that! What Kaz does not know!

Lankstarr
24-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Kaz, one can appreciate the cost of the genuine parts with a bit of knowledge.

L*