PDA

View Full Version : 2004 OEM alarm help please

Lankstarr
26-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Good morning,

Sun is finally out and the car won't start!

I get a blip when I lock the car and the red light flashes but no blip when I unlock the car... the light goes out and the remote central locking works but not audible sound and the alarm triggers when I turn the key.

I think the immobiliser on the alarm is not switching off... or that only half of the alarm functions are working.

Has anyone experienced this or know of any solutions?

I had left the car in the garage unarmed with the boot lid open for the last three days (something I've never done before but trying to dry out light condensation). Otherwise never had problems with alarm and it is a factory fit one.

Thanks,

Luke

Sudesh
26-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Have a look here Luke, not sure if exactly the same problem as your experiencing but might be worth a read

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10282-Removal-of-Alarm

I take it on the later cars, the alarm doesn't cancel out when the key is put in te ignition and turned on? Kinda like an override. I know on a few cars/other manufacturers, this worked.

Lankstarr
26-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Have a look here Luke, not sure if exactly the same problem as your experiencing but might be worth a read

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10282-Removal-of-Alarm

I take it on the later cars, the alarm doesn't cancel out when the key is put in te ignition and turned on? Kinda like an override. I know on a few cars/other manufacturers, this worked.

Will have a look - thanks.

Quite the opposite happens; when I put the in and turn it triggers the alarm!

Thanks

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi, Luke.

First of all, in order to avoid confusion in my post, Security system = Alarm (siren) + Immobiliser.

There is no factory fitted security system that is operated through the remote fob on our NSX.
The remote fob was either optional accesories or dealer fitted system.

For your model, the factory fitted system is the alarm + immobiliser and the software code is
generated and written into the ECU and your key every time when you switch off the IG.
You will see green key shape light on the dash (factory).

For UK NSX, remote fob security system was dealer fitted because
Thatcham CAT# spec is only recognised in UK.
As far as I know, all of them were done through Hamilton & Palmer (H&P).

Before I start writing the long post, could you clarify the following points?

1. When you kept your boot opened for three days,
did you remove the light bulb from the socket inside the boot or
did you pressed on the locking latch to switch off the light?

Unless you had battery conditioner or some sort of charging circuit at your battery,
you may have drained your battery too far and tripped the factory alarm system and
H&P alarm + immobiliser system.
The software code inside the ECU and the key is not affected by loosing or disconnecting
the battery voltage.

If the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold,
the security system (H&P + factory) thinks that someone tried to remove the battery
while the system was still armed.
This will prevent you from cranking the engine.

2. When you turn the key to ON position (DO NOT try to crank the engine),
does the green key light in the dash stay on for about 2sec and then switch off and stay off?
Or, does it stay on for about 2sec and then start blinking?

3. Have you tried ARMING first, then DISARMING using the H&P remote fob with charged battery?

Kaz

NSX 2000
26-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Luke

I would agree with Kaz and check your battery first (the big one found by the spare wheel) as when my battery gets low this is when the alarm can get confused.

On a side note I checked my alarm against 3 other 02+ NSX's and we all had different systems, including one car was one of the "final 12" like mine.

Paul

Lankstarr
26-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks Paul mine seems to be the same as the one on the ctr.

Lankstarr
30-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Close this one off...

The battery was ultra dead, alarm took a few blips to reset but is fine now. Never experienced this with a flat bat before but must have been lower than low!

New battery time I think...

Thanks for everyone's help :-)

Luke

Kaz-kzukNA1
31-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi, Luke.
Glad to hear that your issue is now solved.

For your reference, almost all of the security system has some sort of rechargeable battery somewhere in the system to keep the alarm/siren active (loud noise) long enough in case someone has disconnected the car battery without disarming the system.

Some of the security system will recharge its internal battery only when the engine is running or once the IG key is in On position.
Other systems will try to recharge it whenever the car battery is connected.

Because of this, if you make the car battery flat, it will not only damage the car battery but also it will shorten the life of certain components within the security system so please try to look after your car battery.
I’m not going to post where the re-chargeable battery is on the security system for obvious reason.

Some of the security system failures that you hear from people may have been caused by not looking after the car battery….

Kaz

Lankstarr
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Good to know - thanks.

Will keep battery hooked up to conditioner from now.
I have a cheap conditioner basically a plug with two terminals coming out and am considering buying a Halfords trickle charger which switches to conditioner automatically when battery is full. Am I wasting money or getting a better conditioner this way? Or is a condition a conditioner so to speak?

Brand new battery now so want to look after it! Nothing more annoying than planning a good run and not being able to start the car!

L*