PDA

View Full Version : Never thought the day would come - but here I am!

Ukzero
14-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi there!
For the last 7 years I've owned this BMW E31 - probably the best value in car/£ currently available.
Here's a picture....
It's about as good as one of these can get, but the 7 year itch has hit me bad!

I've looked at so many alternatives and keep coming back to the NSX for my "weekend" car.
Why? In no particular order....
Very different to what I have (lazy low revving V8 cruiser: energetic high revving V6 driver), but still a car that I can live with.
The NSX isn't dubious build and design hiding behind an aspirational badge and ...
I'm paying for the car rather than the said aspirational badge!
Should be at least as reliable as what I have.

I can afford 20-22K (let me rephrase, I will pay up to 20-22K!).

I'm asking a favour really.

Is there anyone East Midlands'ish with a 3.0l that I could have a look at?
Why?
Before I start to search seriously for a car to buy, I need to know that the NSX is the car for me.

Many thanks

Geraint
14-07-2012, 09:41 AM
dubious build and design hiding behind an aspirational badge
Some would take issue with that statement.

Specifically, the 'aspirational' part of it :)

Can't really help as I'm too far away, but welcome to the forum and good luck with your planned upgrade.

jan glyn
14-07-2012, 10:04 AM
If I can help Im in the West Midlands. Mine is an NSX-T manual more than happy to let you have a look over it.
Mike

Ukzero
14-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Some would take issue with that statement.

Oops - causing controversy already - sorry folks - not my intention for my first post!
I thought I was paying the NSX a compliment - along the lines of: It's sought after because of what it is and what it does and not because of the Honda badge.
I went to see a DB7 V12 Vantage (the best looking car I've ever seen - and yes, that's only my opinion), but although the interior trim included Wilton carpet you could wade through and veneer from the heart of some ancient tree, the centre console lid and other parts were falling apart. I was told this was irrelevant because I was buying an "Aston" and it's the badge that matters. I didn't buy that "Aston" badge or the car it was attached to. However - the Aston is still on my "possibles within budget" list.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and depending on who ends up nearest - I may well be in touch.

Thanks for the replies!

Geraint
14-07-2012, 11:02 AM
LOL no controversy caused, I was just winding you up. I understood your point about the NSX, my (light hearted) point was that not everyone holds a BMW badge in high regard.
I agree that with the NSX it's about the car and not the badge - and that's a much classier statement, in my opinion. :)

jan glyn
14-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Brendan you have PM.

Mike

Ukzero
14-07-2012, 11:53 AM
LOL not everyone holds a BMW badge in high regard.

Phew! That's OK then. I don't hold the BMW badge in high regard at all.
I was thinking of the 007, prancing horse and raging bull type of badges.

sorepaws
14-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Why?
Before I start to search seriously for a car to buy, I need to know that the NSX is the car for me.

Many thanks

If you can make it to the Silverstone Classic 20-22 July there will be about 30 of them and their owners !

Ukzero
14-07-2012, 02:37 PM
If you can make it to the Silverstone Classic 20-22 July there will be about 30 of them and their owners !

Thanks.
Would've been an excellent idea - sadly (Ouch -sorry dear, happily), we'll be in Gran Canaria. Bit far for a day trip!

NoelWatson
14-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't hold the BMW badge in high regard at all.

They are class leaders (at making cars that break down)

Ukzero
14-07-2012, 04:15 PM
They are class leaders (at making cars that break down)

As I still own mine, the phrase "Some would take issue with that statement" from another member may apply ;-)

Sudesh
14-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi there!
For the last 7 years I've owned this BMW E31 - probably the best value in car/£ currently available.
Here's a picture....

It's about as good as one of these can get, but the 7 year itch has hit me bad!

I've looked at so many alternatives and keep coming back to the NSX for my "weekend" car.
Why? In no particular order....
Very different to what I have (lazy low revving V8 cruiser: energetic high revving V6 driver), but still a car that I can live with.
The NSX isn't dubious build and design hiding behind an aspirational badge and ...
I'm paying for the car rather than the said aspirational badge!
Should be at least as reliable as what I have.

I can afford 20-22K (let me rephrase, I will pay up to 20-22K!).

I'm asking a favour really.

Why?

Many thanks

Hi and welcome long!

The 8 series is a beautiful car, I had an 840 sport a few months back and loved it, one of my favourite BMW's, also had quite a few other BMW models through out the years, and can't fault any of them, all nice well built cars.

Good luck in your search for an NSX, manual cars don't seem to sit about very long and at the moment depending on miles/condition, they are fetching north of 20k.

scottg
15-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Welcome and good luck with your search. I am sure you will have seen it but there is a silver manual car on pistonheads near your budget at the moment.

NoelWatson
15-07-2012, 06:29 AM
As I still own mine, the phrase "Some would take issue with that statement" from another member may apply ;-)

I'm talking about the recent ones - love the older models.

nobby
15-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi

Welcome on board, hope you find a car that is right for you, but be prepared to spend the cash ... Prices are on the up!

One of the few cars I ever liked from Beamer was the 8 series...

Ukzero
15-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks again for the welcome and advice guys.

Went for a drive in the 8 this morning. Ideally would like both - but can't afford that.
I'm hoping my first drive in an NSX will make the decision for me.

Sudesh
15-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks again for the welcome and advice guys.

Went for a drive in the 8 this morning. Ideally would like both - but can't afford that.
I'm hoping my first drive in an NSX will make the decision for me.

Remember You can't and shouldnt try to compare two!

There is absolutely no resemblance in driver appeal at all, or anything else for that matter. The 8 series weather it be standard model or sport, is a big heavy grand tourer and it serves that purpose very well I thought. NSX just drives completely different and yes you definitely need to drive one.

Sudesh
15-07-2012, 02:57 PM
This was mine

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMW%20840CI%20SPORT/P1010325.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMW%20840CI%20SPORT/P1010323.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/BMW%20840CI%20SPORT/P1010313.jpg

Ukzero
16-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi Sudesh.
The contrast in car and driving style is why the NSX interests me.
I just need to feel that for up to three times the price of my current car I will get good value in terms of enjoyment, etc.

The hard part will be letting my 8 - why? This is mine....
Starting with the image at the start of this thread:
Then these:

As you can see it has a proper Csi two tone interior, every option and even a one-off rear spoiler.

But I've had it for 7 years, so need to move on....I think....

Sudesh
16-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Very nice car! Mine had all the options too, even the EDC and rear blind which all worked perfect.

Only thing I would say I'm prefer is, these cars do not suit a rear spoiler, and the nicest wheels for me, are the turbine or throwing star as they they call them.

I was going to keep the 840 but was tortured by a gentleman in England to sell, as it was identical to a car he had when they first they came out. So I let it go after a few months, been looking for another ever since but nothing with the same spec has come up yet here.

Nick Graves
16-07-2012, 11:08 AM
The 840 Ci's one of the few BMW's I really like! Sort of drives like a big, fat Honda with the tidy, 4WS handling. The V8 bit is very nice too. It was also unfairly misgiven at the time it was launched (the 850 was seen as far above its station back in the 'crisis') and the reputation stuck which endears it to me rather more.

The NSX is likewise a good cruiser, so maybe it won't be such a culture shock when you try it out.

Ukzero
16-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks again for the comments guys. Looking in earnest now.

Sudesh - Ouch - I designed and made that rear spoiler myself! - because the factory one that was fitted (a crudely resized M3 spoiler) looked so bad.
It's OK - I like it (well I would, wouldn't I) and as long as any prospective buyer likes it and its "uniqueness", that's all that matters :-)

scottg
16-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Sudesh - Ouch - I designed and made that rear spoiler myself! - because the factory one that was fitted (a crudely resized M3 spoiler) looked so bad.
It's OK - I like it (well I would, wouldn't I) and as long as any prospective buyer likes it and its "uniqueness", that's all that matters :-)

I don't think the 8 series needs a spoiler but you clearly have a good eye as it has been very well executed. Good luck with your search, there is a forum member with a silver manual NA1 for sale on Pistonheads at the moment that is well worth a look.

Sudesh
16-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Sorry dude, don't take it personally, that's just my taste.

The factory spoiler as I'm sure your aware, was only an option, so for me the 8 series never looked right with a big boot spoiler. The car looks a lot more stream line without it.