PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for a 1991 Auto with 50k miles in red with FSH and good order

Boomerjake
02-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys
I am new to the NSX world, I have wanted one for years, a friend has a 1991 auto with 50k miles with FSH including cam belt changes etc (3rd owner) It is red / Black and is in great condition except a few stone chips and 2 wheels need a refurb. Just wanted to know what kind of money I should pay?
Any advice welcome

Thanks

Senninha
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
If its as good as you say then around £20k less any maintenance work.

As many have learnt, FDSH does'nt always cover everything. Check out the Sudesh refresh thread of Kaz's blogs for details on 'common' items that are not covered by UK service catalogue. A couple of big jobs you may want to ask your friend about are brake overhaul, ie complete strip, clean , new seals etc and the cooling system overhaul, all 23 hoses and main coolant tank. These 2 jobs could cost you many £££ at the dealer so worth finding out.

Depending on geography the wheel refresh will be £50 - 80 pre rim depnding on standard of work you're happy with.

Autos are great, the higher torque characteristic makes for a great drive ... wish I had room for one

Good luck and hope the above helps

regards and welcome,

Paul

nobby
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
pretty much as paul's advice ... i would tally up a tidy service/spruce up kitty for the car so tie this into your price ... when purchasing my car, Sudesh and I factored in a number services to be done so do that and then add in contingency at least 20% :)

ruff estimate on hose refresh will be around 200+ on hoses alone depending on where you buy them from and a fairly labour intensive job. also factor in the parts waiting game as well as certain ones can be a pain to source.

dont let all this put you off, you should be still able to drive the car while bringing her up to scratch.

good luck

Boomerjake
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys
I have checked with the owner and the hoses where changed in 2007, brakes stripped in 2009.
He wants £23k and believes he will get this- is this realistic?

Thanks

nobby
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Auto's demanded lower prices until recently, and as you will see any car that has appeared recently there has been a flurry of activity around them due to the severe lack of sales ... prices appear to be on the rise and I would guess your vendor has been watching things closely re NSX prices of late so he/she is in the driving seat, but there has to be a realisation that an auto box is not the popular choice (not having a pop at an auto im sure the NSX variant is nice) amongst the masses

the buck stops with you ... is 23k realistic to you + the additional monies you will (likely) need to carry out maintenece (it is 21 year old afterall)????
get this right in your head first and go from there ...

me personally I would haggle as much as you can ... review Kaz's HC and Sudesh's refresh and arm yourself with that information ... then go to the vendor and state you will likely need to do work on such items as A/C board check, ignition coils, have you confirmed the pulley has been replaced (may not be replaced even after t.b.) ... the likes of seals on the tailights etc will likely have perished etc

the car has done well below the average for age of car ... so if you plan to drive it there may be things popping up over time so you need to factor this all in

perhaps around 6 months ago this price would have been "high" ... but at the moment perhaps not

push as hard as you can, if its meant for you, you will get it!

good luck

scottg
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi,
Another 91 auto was for sale in Dorset for 20k on pistonheads last week and sold within 7 days, that car had 47000 miles according to the ad. There is also a silver manual 91 car with 60000 miles and he is a member of the forum at 22.5k so this is well worth a look being a manual car.

Nick Graves
03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
ATEOTD you're probably arguing over a couple of bags.

It's not like (m)any are la-la-land overpriced.

If you want the car & it's a keeper, fine. a couple of bag over a long ownership is nothing, especially if they do appreciate.

If you're unsure, don't buy & get something more disposable instead.

You could get a nice new Ford Focus for that sort of dough.

markevo6
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I can't comment on whether its under or over priced but I can advise what I paid for mine purchased 2 weeks ago .

Its a 91 car , red / black , manual , and had under 12k on the clock from new and is in my opinion in excellent condition .

I paid 25k for it , i'm not sure if that's good or bad but it was what I was prepared to pay , which I think is what it boils down to .

Any car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it , good luck with buying your Nsx.

Mark