PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in the next NSX?

Honduh
02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Sensible answers please.

Lankstarr
02-02-2006, 04:57 PM
A 4.0 v10 with about 400 horses would be special

0-60 around 4.5 and a price tag to knock carerras off the block - with S2000 pushing 240 from a 2.0 I think the newer technology should be up to it. :roll:

Put me down for 2!

AR
02-02-2006, 07:11 PM
2 seater
RWD
100 bhp per litre V8 not a unbalanced V10
Active exhaust as on the 360CS
Adjustable height suspension, from the cabin
Tiptronic as an option or Paddle shifter
Bigger brakes
HUD
Recaro seats like on the GT3
HID headlights
CF body panel
Visible engine

markc
02-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey AR sounds exactly like a F360/F430 to me :wink:

Taking your cues, some "signature" NSX ones and moving things on....
2 seater
Cab forward profile
High cabin glass content
Similar or better luggage space
Aluminium and composite chassis
Aluminium and composite body panels
Forged aluminium suspension (again)
Agree with the V8 sentiment tho' (4.0 Litres tops)
Composites used in contsruction of the engine
Dry sump engine
4 Cam iVTEC
Direct Injection
120hp/ltr (S2000 style)
9K+ Rev Limit
Sub 1400Kg
300+ hp/ton
Longtitudinal engine/gearbox
Fixed height suspension else to complex/heavy
NO Paddle shift - Unless DSG alike (but this is too heavy)
Modern brakes to match
Business like interior (like Ferrari NOT Aston)
HID's, HUD, DSR, PSC etc will have to be there.
Type R/RR model from day one. Lighter, firmer, shorter gearing, same engine, less frivolous trinkets ie NSX Type R and Porsche GT3/RS recipe.

Where do I place my order? :D

Mark

AR
02-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Mark

I meant paddle as an option, I would prefer a standard 6 speed.

Cheers

AR

Mr_Spanners
02-02-2006, 11:03 PM
My list would be....

1) Extensive use of new technologies - Perhaps an electric\petrol hybrid engine and the use of modern composites in the body\chassis? The lightweight\precise\usable supercar approach still works for me!

2) I'd also like to see a sensible engine option that doesn't adversely affect the balance of the car. My own preference is a well engineered 'high bhp per litre' unit NOT the massive displacement approach.

3) Styling shouldn't be imitating other supercars in the market at the time of release. I felt the HSC concept looked a tad to 'lambo' for my liking - not sure I can quantify this statement but hey, it's just my opinion! :wink:

My biggest wish is that the next generation NSX is designed and built with the same passion as it's predecessor and approached with a 'no compromise' attitude. Given the global car market at the moment it's hard not to imagine the whole project being overseen by accountants!!! :cry:

~Phil.

senna786
02-02-2006, 11:14 PM
2 seater,
V8 or V10? have pondered on this for a while and am definitely in the V8 camp.
Honda has a long history - going back to the 90's - developing V8 engines for racing in North America, which incidentally leads to the new F1 season. Honda's new RA106 V8 has been in development for 4 years and during the course of development, Honda has been able to draw on its vast experience to create a V8 (2.4L) revving way above 19,000RPM :lol: They have managed to address the many problems V8 can have , in particular, at a certain rev range, resonance frequencies can cause problems with vibrations in a V8, and Honda's CART experience helped it get over this particular hurdle, Honda should try and use their F1 experience and dump as much of it as possible into the new NSX from an engineering perspective. In my view they have to take back the mantle and take engineering to another level on a road car enough to make manufactueres (i.e Ferrari) buy it to figure out how the hell do they now catch up! It's got to be 10 years ahead of its time.

I once came across the below stats - can't remember the source, but interesting, especially the 0-100 times :lol:

The NSX-R has also been known to do a 7:55 around the Nurbering.The new one should be capable to destroy a 7:40 around the Nurbering at least.

The new one has to at least be doing a 4sec 0-60 and sub 10 secs to 100, without any comprimise to its sublime handling. Which interestingly leads me to Ayrton :cry: . It was honed by senna, so Honda should try and retain some of its purist heritage otherwise it may be in danger of creating another huge powerful but meaningless machine like many out there today.

Car----------0-60,,,,,0-100,,,,,Max,,,,,Kgs,,,,,BHP,,,,,BHP/Ton
911CarrS----4.6,,,,,10.8,,,,,182,,,,,1420,,,,,350,,,,,246
NSX3.2------4.8,,,,,10.9,,,,,172,,,,,1320,,,,,276,,,,,209
E46 M3------4.8,,,,,11.5,,,,,160,,,,,1577,,,,,339,,,,,215
EVO8--------4.8,,,,,12.7,,,,,152?,,,,1410,,,,,276,,,,,195
ImpSTi------5.3,,,,,13.5,,,,,148,,,,,1470,,,,,261,,,,,178
BoxsterS----6.0,,,,,14.2,,,,,161,,,,,1295,,,,,252,,,,,195
S2000------5.6,,,,,,14.3,,,,,147,,,,,1260,,,,,237,,,,,188
Boxster2.7---6.3,,,,,15.2,,,,,155,,,,,1275,,,,,228,,,,,178

Spring rates doubled.
Not to mention the racing bushes and brakes,
semi-track tyres,
stripped-down cabin (max F360/F430 style),
Constructed in aluminium, bristling with race-bred technology
re-profiled aerodynamics - wider arches, 19"Front/20" Rear
Engine viewable and dressed up (F360 style)
and the best gearchange on the planet. Honda should look to offer the DSG style paddle shift, but def the manual 6 speed. Or maybe even look to a 7 speed with shorter ratios. Just a thought :idea:
sub 1400 kg in weight
Advanced traction control - while also braking the wheel(s) applying power to the respective wheel(s) - like the Porsche developed system (in the 997C2S) and obviously the ability to switch it off :lol: :wink:
Bigger, and I mean BIGGER brakes
It's got to be RWD - enough said on that point.
Titanium/Aluminium produced engine.
Also a very important point - It has to be hand built - by the best trained engineers.
Luggage space - I say screw it - if it stays the same capacity then fine, but don't make it any bigger - please (that's what Volvos are for)
Dry sump engine - if it affects reliability then no. I'd rather they make the most relaible and powerful V8 in the world.
Engine size = well the new F1 RA106 V8 is 2.4 litres I think and reves beyond 19,000 revs :shock:
The new NSX should be no more than 3,5 litres and come on Honda can you get the unit to rev up beyond 10,000 - that would be a dream.
It's also got to sound better than the 430/360 - much better.

There's a saying,
you get your kicks not from being beyond the limit but defining its edge in microscopic resolution. The small things matter,

Honda do this best and should continue to do so with the new NSX.

regards,

Senna786

2004 NSX 3.2 6 speed manual, Long beach blue
2002 MCC Smart passion - (tuned!)

jaytip
03-02-2006, 02:06 AM
I believe Honda has had its one chance of dropping the engineering bombshell on the car world with the release of the NSX.At the time Ferrari were smug and complacent and believed(rightly) that their name was enough to sell cars like the 348,which were badly built and dodgy on the limit.Porche at the beggining of the 90's were not exactly selling a user friendly supercar in the 911 either.
Fast forward 15 years and the F430 is every motoring journalist's dream.Performance,looks,handling and now reliability as well.Porsche has done the same with the 997/911.
What the hell are Honda going to do in the 70k price bracket to top them the way they did in 91.Anything over 70k and they will fail big time.People just will not pay that sort of money for a Honda.You can get a nearly new 911 GT3 for that and a fairly new 360.As sad as it is,when paying that sort of money(most)people want a prestigious badge on the bonnet.
Don't get me wrong i love the NSX and ive been really unhappy since mine has gone and one day(when the 2002's come under 30k)i will hopefully have another,but i dont think they will ever trounce Ferrari again.

Sagacitas
03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Instead of a new NSX (as has been said there is not the room for Honda to make a big splash in that market) how about taking the NSX approach to the small coupe market?

Basically crucify the Cayman, Z4 coupe, 350z, RX8, etc. It should have performance, handling, and looks, to beat the Cayman and Z4 with a price to compete with the 350z and RX8.

Oh and lot of torque. By which I mean LOTS of TORQUE. HP is all well and good for top speed but lots of ft/lbs will help you appreciate the padding on your seat.
:twisted:

Richard

simonprelude
03-02-2006, 11:01 AM
A proper switchable gearbox with CVT or manual :)

No, would really have a more raw car than the current NSX, it is a very comfortable cruiser that is also very capable on track.

Would rather it be a little lighter and quicker.

As long as it does to the current car market what the original did then it will be a good thing :lol:

jaytip
03-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Instead of a new NSX (as has been said there is not the room for Honda to make a big splash in that market) how about taking the NSX approach to the small coupe market?

Basically crucify the Cayman, Z4 coupe, 350z, RX8, etc. It should have performance, handling, and looks, to beat the Cayman and Z4 with a price to compete with the 350z and RX8.

Oh and lot of torque. By which I mean LOTS of TORQUE. HP is all well and good for top speed but lots of ft/lbs will help you appreciate the padding on your seat.
:twisted:

Richard
I think they would have to think about their pricing structure then.The S2K is already more expensive than the RX8 and 350Z and its quite a bit down on power on the 350Z.
The Cayman is 17k cheaper than the NSX was and its all but as fast.What ever Honda do,it's going to have to be a depature from what they are currently doing.

banzaicars
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Not sure if it's possible but my wish is simply this:

For it to be better than an F430 (including in looks) but be 40k cheaper than the Ferrari.

Either way, when it is released I have every confidence that it will be fantastic!

Honduh
03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks to all of you for treating this sensibly and taking the time to post a response.

imvarma
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I guess i would want it just to greatly improve Hondas Reputation for performance and style.
So for it to be better than its rivals would be 8) :wink:

Senninha
08-02-2006, 08:17 PM
A lot of interesting and highly desirable items on the wish list!

I would like to pick up on Jaytip's cute observation

'What the hell are Honda going to do in the 70k price bracket to top them the way they did in 91.Anything over 70k and they will fail big time.People just will not pay that sort of money for a Honda'

This suggests that whilst we might all like the goodies from the wish list, unless Honda market it right we might never see a replacement :cry:

However, looking at this positively, Honda's F1 programme should allow them to construct the new NSX using existing facilites with lightweight carbon/alloy construction and control production costs to hit the right market price.

They could then market 2 V8 variants of a great car
- a fully loaded luxury model, 6 speed man or DSG with Targa/convertible option for wider market appeal
- a stripped out GT3 beater, ceramic brakes, 7 speed, aero enhanced no frills ( maybe offer air and ICE options)

Discussed in less detail is what the replacement may look like. IMHO the HSC looked great upto the A-pillar after which it was a disaster. I would like to see Honda 'evolve' the new from the old, keeping some NSX signatures like full rear lights, forward leaning b-pillar maybe? It also needs to be as timeless as possible and NOT have any italian copy book styling cues to avoid the Ferrari references.

I guess the real question is 'Can Honda do all this?' Well if they can, and they can launch it on the back of F1 V8 success, retaining some of the chassis purity dialed in by the late Ayrton Senna then they will have delivered another challenge for the rest to catch up with :D