PDA

View Full Version : modifications

Marky
01-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I have a lovely 2005 black NSX but thinking of making some additional modifications. I already added CF rear wing, CF airbox, upgraded the front brake pads, replaced horrible tan leather with black connoly leather and now thinking about upgrading exhaust (something lighter and with a better sound), maybe better brakes and potentially something to get 20 - 50bhp more.... do I need bigger discs to get better brakes and do I need to make major modifications to get more bhp? and which exhaust sounds best and adds more bhp? any for sale in Europe? any thoughts?

Legacyman
02-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Marky
i am just about to dive in with a new purchase and will do the same as you i will watch this thread for ideas!!

also do you know if auto to manual box is possible?
LM

Marky
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Andy at VTEC Direct suggets the Taitec exhuast FN-09 which costs £2800 fitted

http://www.vtecdirect.com/online/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?seo=item--Super-Taitec-FN-09-S-Exhaust-System--TAIT-EX-FN09-2

nobby
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Mark

if you are talking that sort of cash, perhaps you should look into the stuff that KSP develops for NSX.

Kaz, done his writeup about headers etc in his HC blogs etc. There may be something there of interest.

What about Ary's exhaust on here?

Andy at VTEC Direct suggets the Taitec exhuast FN-09 which costs £2800 fitted

http://www.vtecdirect.com/online/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?seo=item--Super-Taitec-FN-09-S-Exhaust-System--TAIT-EX-FN09-2

AR
02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
The FN exhaust restricts flow. It all depends what sound you are after.

@legacyman: auto to manual can be done and usually works well as auto engines are usually less stressed than manual ones.

markc
04-07-2012, 09:14 PM
The FN exhaust restricts flow. It all depends what sound you are after.

Maybe compared to a straight twin box design but not over the factory standard exhaust. The very best flowing exhaust will add about 15hp to an NA2 while the FN/GT One 5.1/Pride V2 etc will add 10-12hp.

You'll need a supercharger to add 50hp

Cheers

Mark

AR
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM
That would depend on other bit as well, anyway I don't think any NSX needs to loose hp. As for SC yes they will add 80 plus but is not ideal to use them with the spaghetti exhasuts. Mine works NA or FI, just my .2p.

Lankstarr
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
IS there any way to get 50bhp without FI?

So with headers (may not necessary for 3.2) exhaust and air box we may have 20-25 extra, do you need another 25 or another 50?

I know they bored out the 3.0 engines in the states to get up to 3.8; are there any ways that the extra could be achieved naturally; potentially only boring out to 3.5? Kaz worked on race NSXs maybe he can work some magic given the right tools?

I'd love an extra 50 bhp as well but am not sure about the SC route in the UK... does;t seem to have gone very smoothly for SS but haven't had an update for a long time so maybe it's all sorted. Probably means there's nobody suitable to tune the engine as well!

L*

AR
06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I ran my car SC for over a year iirc and all was fine. You must remember to check the ctsc oil and belt tension. Simples!

Senninha
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
........IS there any way to get 50bhp without FI

Different cams, ITB's, swap out the OBDII for the earlier tuneable ECU and you'll punch 350+ .... however, you'll drop about £5k trying and still legally only be able to do 70mph so whats the point?

If you want more performance, loose weight ... now thats simples ... and it wont stress the OEM components one bit.

AR
07-07-2012, 06:52 AM
More than £5k for sure Paul! Just a decent set of headers and exhaust plu sports cats is getting to that number.

Tokyo-Joe
07-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I can recommend the pride v2, it has a fantastic high pitch howl that feels amazing to drive. It cost around £1k delivered from the states.

From my research the best gains for the cash on NA1 are headers and larger injectors with a tune. On na2 I see the headers are already pretty good so gains are smaller.

L696ULO
07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Paul,
In loosing weight, I hope you were referring to the car and not the driver !

AR
07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Well I lost 90 pounds since I sold the NSX so even my GL feels faster lol