PDA

View Full Version : Nothing

NSX100
01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Typical. First nice weekend for a while so I decide to take the car out for a good run. Insert key in ignition, switch on and....nothing. Completely dead. I check the battery and it is fully charged. I had not set the alarm/immobiliser since it is locked up in my garage so that is out. After some fiddling about, I notice that the cable connecting to the negative terminal is loose. So loose in fact, that I can easily remove it with one finger. And worse. I cannot tighten it any further. So, obviously (?), it is not making a connection.

So, question is, what can I use as a spacer? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

David

Tokyo-Joe
01-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I had the exact same problem one day after work, I replaced my lead terminals with new ones from a motorfactors and it did the trick and they have stayed nice and tight :)

You can get lead (?) spacers that sit around the battery terminals but they are quite hard to find.

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi, David.

Ideally, you should replace the battery GND cable and never over torque the fixing bolt.

Example here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9685-Stranded-at-work-the-horror!&p=89500#post89500 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9685-Stranded-at-work-the-horror%21&p=89500#post89500)

As a temporary measure, you can do the following.

Squash the GND terminal cramp to oval shape and try re-installing it but do not over tighten it.
This method works if your battery post was not damaged/deformed too much.

Long-long time ago, if you were in to fishing, it was allowed to use lead weight in the form of sheet so that you could cut and roll it to your preference.
If you still have such thing, it’s a very good item to be used as a spacer.

You can also use food aluminium foil and roll it up to the required thickness and then wrap it around the battery terminal to be sandwiched by the GND terminal cramp.

I have seen the cowboy method of cramping the thick gauge wire or even piece of metal being used as a spacer but it will further damage the battery post.

In any cases, just replace the GND cable.

Kaz