PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

Lankstarr
26-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi guys,

I need new pads and am looking at Dixon's type Z pads vs Project Mu HC+ pads from SOS.

Both are quite expensive so hopefully good, I don't mind spending the pennies if I'm getting better stopping power and want something with good all round performance.

Does anyone have experience of these pads vs others or are there otgers you can recommend please?

Thanks

Luke

NSXGB
26-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Senninha has recently fitted the red stuff pads, maybe he could review those for us? They are quite reasonably priced too.

Nick Graves
28-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I have the project Mus on my car - the green road spec ones.

They are very good; a lovely firm pedal (braided hoses IIRC) good bite & no apparent drawbacks. A bit of disc noise under hard stopping, as you'd expect with grooved discs. But I've not cracked one yet.

Senninha
28-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi Luke

As above, I've jsut swapped to EBC Redstuff from the Mu's. I had the fast road option. Good pad but not as dust free as suggested. Limited fade and no disc damage. With the EBC's I've only done a few hundread miles. Forst impressions are better initial bite, still a good pedal feel and virtually dust free, which meets with the claims for the newer material they use. Neither pads give any squeal.

HTH, Paul

vtecdirect
28-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I would suggest Ferodo DS2500 pads for front, very good from cold, no fade, and last well. Also good value in my opinon at £128 delivered.

Silver Surfer
28-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I have Dixons' supplied Dixel Pads which he recommended on both cars.

Priccy but good pads with no fade....even Kaz was impressed with the bite when he tested my car!

SS

Lankstarr
29-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a lot of good pads out there,,
!

Thanks for the help

nobby
29-06-2012, 08:13 AM
i have red stuff on my car and i dont have a problem with them at all; a lot of people dont rate EBC but they do my job and i use them on my bike's too ... and if they can work well on them then i am happy to use on the car.

so far the red stuff for me has not been giving off any dust etc and they have been on the car for the guts of 2 years now inc my big road trip to switzerland and around 10 laps of the ring

nobby
29-06-2012, 08:20 AM
i had a really bad experience with ds2500's on my old evo ... they wrecked my discs after being told/recommended to buy them. My driving style had not altered in anyway and they made a right mess. Then changed the pads and discs to performance friction and i admit they were very good indeed. recently enquired about PF and NSX application, they dont do aftermarket pads but they do have a solution that costs around 6500 quid. YES you read this right. :eek:

so not sure i would ever use ds2500's again ... i know they are well regarded etc but that was my experience on them, but as stated others have used Red Stuff and detest them. Very much down to personal choice and how you use your brake system

I would suggest Ferodo DS2500 pads for front, very good from cold, no fade, and last well. Also good value in my opinon at £128 delivered.

Chris B N
29-06-2012, 10:06 AM
would agree with all the comments on Red Stuff, had them on for the last 18months together with grooved discs,
found that from cold they are not so good, but as soon as they are warmed up ( 1or 2 brake applications ) very good with good progressive bite without fade

Chris

Lankstarr
30-06-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd not really considered red stuff before, who supplied them? I know Paul would have done his research, any reason why you didn't go for SOS brands or dixcel Z's Paul?

Thanks,

Luke

Senninha
01-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Luke,

I bought direct from EBC on-line as price the same from distributors. Great service, arrived in two days.

EBC changed its compounds late last year and have (so far) eradicated the issues some reported which was squeal, poor cold performance and dust. New formual shows no sign of any of these, offer better initial bite then the MU's, and fast b road run through the twisties the other evening showed no signs of fade (approx 10 miles of 2nd\3rd gear and solid braking).

Buying direct also in mind gave me assurance that I'd be getting latest specification and not some old shelf stock.

I odnt have lots of experience on the other pads mentioned so cant offer comparison other then the MUu's. Mu's have been good, have covered almost 20k miles and are only half worn. Throw off more dust, ok from cold.

Hope that helps,

regards, Paul

havoc
01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Think I've Mu's on mine and they're "OK" - a little glassy when cold, but not bad when warm. Still not got enough 'feel' or resistance through the pedal though - both ITR and S2000 responded better to braided hoses and brake upgrades, and the NSX isn't a heavy car, so it's either a servo thing or the pads.

On the other cars I've had
- 1144s (years ago, dusty but good from cold and progressive all the way through. Second set delaminated though),
- DS2500s (nearly as dusty, great feel, great bite and progression, but prone to a little judder occasionally - not warping, probably material deposits or hot-spots) and
- ITR OE (quite enough for road use, decent feel cold and hot, just lack that last bit of full-on 'aggression' of the a-market pads, which really know how to do an emergency stop. Still better than almost all other road-car OE, IMHO).

When mine are up for a change on the NSX I'll probably go for either OE, RedStuff (wouldn't have touched EBC 5 years ago but their rep seems to have been steadily improving) or Dixcel, depending on how much I'm using it and what I want to spend.

Lankstarr
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Nice and cheap - 160 for a set.

Why did you go red stuff and not "upgrade" yellow stuff?

Half price vs Dixcel Type Zs... Although I'd happily pay extra if they were better. Dixon said a few on here have Zs, very tricky to rate u
Against others unless swapping out on the same car.

L*

Hi Luke,

I bought direct from EBC on-line as price the same from distributors. Great service, arrived in two days.

EBC changed its compounds late last year and have (so far) eradicated the issues some reported which was squeal, poor cold performance and dust. New formual shows no sign of any of these, offer better initial bite then the MU's, and fast b road run through the twisties the other evening showed no signs of fade (approx 10 miles of 2nd\3rd gear and solid braking).

Buying direct also in mind gave me assurance that I'd be getting latest specification and not some old shelf stock.

I odnt have lots of experience on the other pads mentioned so cant offer comparison other then the MUu's. Mu's have been good, have covered almost 20k miles and are only half worn. Throw off more dust, ok from cold.

Hope that helps,

regards, Paul

Senninha
01-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Yellow to track orientated, red's are fast road 200+ hp and so far, good enough ...

They'll also match your bodywork ;)

Lankstarr
06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys - going to order red stuff.

I have Dixcel treated discs which seem pretty solid but given the three positive red stuff responses I've had vs one Dixcel one I can't' pay double for Dixcel. I'd love to drive one then swap out and drive the other to give a definitive test result for everyone but truth is they'll probably last a good few years given the minimal mileage I'm doing!

Thanks for all of your input.

L*

scottg
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I have red stuff pads that were already on the car when I bought it. I get very little dust from them and the braking is excellent so you have made a good choice.

Lankstarr
07-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Red stuff seems to be the pad of choice!