PDA

View Full Version : Test pipes

Hondaboy
05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Looking to buy test pipes as advertised in for sale section

Has anyone fitted these to a jdm nsx?

Tokyo-Joe
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I have them fitted, what questions do you have?

Hondaboy
06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Hey Tokyo Joe was wondering what the deal is with the extra holes for sensors on the SOS test pipes

Do I need to buy extra sensors for these or move my existing ones?

Also sudesh said jdm cars have exhaust temp sensor with warning light on dash does fitting these affect this or cause dash light to stay on?

NSXGB
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Just plug up the extra sensor holes in the test pipes.

Hey Tokyo Joe was wondering what the deal is with the extra holes for sensors on the SOS test pipes

Do I need to buy extra sensors for these or move my existing ones?

Also sudesh said jdm cars have exhaust temp sensor with warning light on dash does fitting these affect this or cause dash light to stay on?

AR
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Just fit and enjoy, with my JDM na1-r I just removed the extra sensors never had an issue. You won't see much gain in an otherwise stock car without headers and exhaust. It will sound louder somewhat.

Sudesh
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Personally I would go with headers and exhaust first as Ary mentioned, then decide on the cats.

Yes on the JDM car there is exhaust temp warning, having never installed aftermarket cats before, I really can't help on what you should do there, probably simple enough to disconnect it as the cables come from the boot area.

I like all those little unique extras on my JDM model, so for me I'd will leave the cats in place, plus with headers and back box the car will be plenty loud lol

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi, Hondaboy.

I presume your JDM NSX has just two O2 sensors and not four.

The extra hole is for the additional sensor such as wide band O2 sensor for mapping/monitoring purpose so if you don’t need it, just put blanking plug.
Your exhaust shop will have it or you can find it on the web.

For JDM, there was an old regulation requiring all JDM cars to be fitted with the CAT/exhaust temperature sensor. Quite a while ago, this requirement was removed from the regulation and thus, this sensor was no longer installed even on the later spec JDM NSX.

The sensor was the thermistor type so the higher the temperature, the lower the resistance is.
The sensor interface circuit is within your integrated control unit at the passenger side foot area just above the fuse block.

Because of the interface circuit design, you can simply disconnect the two sensor (one at each CAT) without triggering the warning light on the dash.
There are two connectors mounted at the right forward section of the boot behind the carpet.

If you remove the sensor cables, whatever the method you use, just make sure to seal the two holes at the boot grommet. Otherwise, the moisture will get inside the boot from behind the carpet and will cause condensation at the tail light assy.

Personally, I would first look into the header and exhaust as suggested by others.
Removing the CAT will improve the throttle response and gain just a few power but nowhere near to the dramatic increase by replacing the header on C30A engine.

As you know, the OEM one on C30A is not a header and just a cast manifold with restricted flow.

As I wrote in your old post, you need to be bit careful with the shift in the torque curve for AT models if replacing the header/exhaust box/CAT/etc.

If you loose too much back pressure and shifted the torque curve too far, you will feel sluggishness at the low rpm band. DBW or DBW+LEV models also needs to be aware of the ‘hanging rpm’ phenomenon at certain rpm range.

Our member AR (Ary) has nice exhaust designed for our NSX so you may want to contact him.

Kaz

Dutchy
06-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I didn't use them because I was a little scared the car was going to be too loud with the new headers and GTLW exhaust.

The two extra holes have plugs in them already so no need to find them.

Ahum.....Now for the socalled "sales talk"

These are amazing mandrel bent pipes and the sound is awesome.... and let's not forget the 25+hp it will give you. Ohhh myyyy Gawd you should really buy them now.

:)

In all fairness I know too little about it to give a definite answer about the pipes (decats) I do know that just swapping the pipes and not the exhaust and headers first is not the best choice to go for.
Soooo... spent your money on the other parts first and then if you still want to complete the setup buy the pipes.

I can recommend Top speed headers...good price good quality and superquick service. Then depending on the sound you want pick an exhaust.

Hondaboy
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok guys thanks for all advice guess the best first step is headers for me though the budget will be tight

Have seen the top speed headers amazingly cheap and would buy them in a heartbeat but have read up on prime about fitting issues having to cut out section of cross beam on car etc so that's a bit off putting

P.s thanks kaz for yet more in-depth technical unbiased advice
We need a kaz in every Honda dealer across the land

nobby
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
i have the DS Sports headers recenlty installed in my car ... and I have an issue with the new header downpipe being extremely close to the cross beam ... i.e. if you let the engine labour too much ... the headers will touch and rattle off the cross beam ... so either i need to get the engine moved up slightly or trim the beam slightly to compensate

not sure what to do ... will leave it to my master to sort out! LOL! :)

btw the headers make a great difference to the car ... a must NA1 upgrade

fitting issues having to cut out section of cross beam on car etc so that's a bit off putting

Dutchy
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
The fitting is a little tight but we only had to cut off a small ring of the engineblock no biggy. This ring was mostlikely used for the fabrication of the engine....it had no further purpose. All in all an extra bit of work but in the end a lot! cheaper then a taitec or something similar.