PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection systems

Baz
27-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Anyone had experience with paint protection systems such as Paintshield? Are they worth the money or is it better to just re-spray the front end once it becomes badly stone chipped?

Baz

Senninha
27-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Baz,

I would strongly recommend the Armourfend treatment. I had this applied to the front of my S2000 and with 20k on the clock it looked as though it was still new out of the showroom.

Previously I had an Elise and didn't protect to my cost.

For the S2 it cost me @ £300 for a full front end, professional and often invisible guard against stone chipping. The Elise cost me twice that in front end respray over a similar period.

Some will argue that the Elise chips easier due to its construction which may be the case, but you cant argue against an original car holding better value with original paint.

Hope this helps and I know which way I will go in the future.

Armourfend are in Nazeing, Essex 01992 892896 and depending on the facilities you have, do offer a mobile installation service.

Regards

Baz
27-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Many thanks - I'll check them out

Baz

Papalazarou
27-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi,

I work in the motor trade in a lot of different garages and a very high percentage of second hand cars are resprayed to some extent before they hit the forcourt.
Porsche for instance will respray any panel with over a certain amout of stone chips (I think it's 3-5 in a given area).
The reason I bring this up is because there are probably a lot of NSX owners out there who think they have original paintwork throughout but many cars, espcially those with over 20K miles will probably have had paint on the nose cone, front wings or rear bumper if they've re-entered the dealer network at some point.
I'm getting my nosecone done next month, not because it's particularly bad but because I want it to look perfect and will definately be putting some kind of paint protection on it as Senninha suggested.

Even if you drive fifty yards behind the car in front you still pick up stone chips so I guess it makes sense.

Maybe we could get a group buy?

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
27-01-2006, 10:23 PM
It would be worth asking the question James.

When I had the S2 done, the first of the 04 facelift models, I negotiated a deal as they used my car to make the template. They wer very helpful and I'm sure they would entertain the request.

Good luck and don't forget to show us all what you decide to do with your alloys!

regards

Mr_Spanners
27-01-2006, 10:50 PM
The chipping problem seem to have come about since manufacturers changed to water based paints. Legislation has restricted the use of solvents and as a consequence modern paint finishes are much softer. I know many S2000 owners have complaned of the front bumper becoming chipped very quickly so it's obviously a problem...

Any additional paint protection is good but it won't stop stones hitting the car - perhaps it's worth building a good relationship with the local paint shop and getting them to 'refresh' the frony end every few years instead??? (I was quoted £300 for repainting the nose cone of the NSX by a highly reputable paintshop)

~Phil.

Papalazarou
29-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know whether the paint code is the same for all red
pre- facelift NSX's because I dropped into Castle Combe at the weekend and parked next to Ultraviolet's car (a 92' I think) and they were completely different colours.

Mine is a lighter red.

The strange thing is that the paintwork is pretty good on my car and there are no variations in colour. I'm pretty sure it was always garaged too and the slam panels are the same colour intensity as the bodywork which makes me think that they must have varied the colour a little from the factory.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
29-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi James,

Someone will correct me I'm sure but at some point, perhaps '96 they changed the paint from Formula Red to New Formula Red or 'Ascari' Red, (which I'm sure is the same as the NFR which is the colour of our cars I believe). I am basing this on stuff I remember from my NSX book and Prime, so it could be rubbish!

Also the special option S2000 colours included New Formula Red which is the only other Honda to wear that colour I believe (due to shared production / paint facilities I assume). I've parked next to one before and it was the same colour as mine.

Sorry for the woolly reply...I'll wait to be enlightened with the facts!! also sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I'm very hung over ... :cry:

Cheers,

Matt.

Papalazarou
29-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks Matt,

I'll have a look on Prime and see if I can find some more info.
Here's the difference in colour, although both cars were covered in road film at the time.

Cheers,

James.