PDA

View Full Version : Tyre question

sportyking
25-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a set of wheels and tyres from my S2000 days that I don't seem to be able to shift and was just wondering if one pair will fit the NSX

I have a pair of virtually new Advan A032R's in 225/50/16 and am wondering if they would squeeze under the front arches for track days.

They are actually quite small as 225/50's go but still the sidewall height may cause problems. I intend to measure them for rolling radius at the weekend to work out what rears I could get away with to keep the TCS happy but wondered if anyone has ever put stuff that big under the front.
I don't think the sidewalls would aggravate the handling as being track tyres they are very stiff.

I'm also concerned it will raise the front end too high and **** up high speed aerodynamics.

Any thoughts??

simonprelude
26-01-2006, 09:57 AM
When having tyres fitted I have put S2000 rears on the NSX rear, there is no way I would drive with them on, fronts, wouldn't have thought so either.

sportyking
26-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I understand the rears are the same size as early NSX rears but mine are 17" and I wouldn't dream of even trying to use the S2 wheels on an NSX, so my only option is the front 16" NSX wheels.

ctrlaltdelboy
26-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I still have my S2000 track wheels in the shed with A032Rs on - mine was an 04 so had 16" wheels, so if you want my half worn fronts in 16" to go with your 17" rears I'm sure we can do something ;)
my 16" rears are basically slicks though :shock:

EDIT: sorry - just re-read this and realised my offer is of no use after all :lol:

nevermind

mutley
27-01-2006, 12:52 PM
While on the subject of tyres, does anyone have any recommendations of what rubber to use.
I usually go for Goodyear Eagle F1's as I have found them to be an excellent tyre, but if there are any better (for cheaper) ones out there I'd love to know.

Thanks all.

sportyking
27-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Read up on NSX Prime, the correct tyres are of different construction. It's a right can of worms if you ask me.

This summer I will be mostly wearing Toyo R888's and just avoiding the rain.

Darren, I couldn't justify 17 inch track wheels when there were so many cheap warranty wheels floating around, but thanks for the offer. Looks like I have found someone sensible from Pistonheads that wants the S2 wheels now, so I will be looking to get those R888's for Easter.

Currently battling with more understeer than expected, so I may go up a size on the front and suffer the consequences in the wet weather

27-01-2006, 10:46 PM
What sportyking says about a can of worms is right.

Some of the guys here remember couldn’t figure out what was wrong when I bought my NSX, I was complaining of understeer (stock Yokos on stock wheels).

I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so eventually I just bought new tyres for it. Bridgestone S03s.
Wow, what a difference. Even in the rain, especially in the rain, it is a neutral car. I love these tyres.
If anybody has any experience comparing them to other tyres, please let me know. It would be nice to know about others just as good, in case I can’t get new ones when they wear out.

Also, a note about the wheel width: When I was researching my bigger wheel size (I have a big brake kit that needs to go on). I decided to use the new Compomotive 18x9 six spokes on the back and 17x8 on the front. I will send them to a wheel narrower in Germany to make them 6.5 inch wide on the front and 8 on the back. (Compomotive already sell a 18x8, but it looks different, not indented like the front).
This is because I believe wide tyres in the wet aren’t worth a sh*t (I drive my NSX everyday).
Even on the dry, maybe you can pull more Gs with wider tyres, but the car will be going much faster when it starts to slide. I prefer to feel the thing sliding without scaring the hell out of myself. Much more fun.
When I was designing my setup, I noticed was that some of the Ferraris only have 6 or 7 inch wide fronts too (forget which, I have a list somewhere).
I don’t know if the handling changed much when Honda went to 7 inch wide on the front. Anybody?

Peter
I