PDA

View Full Version : my nsx is making a funny noise

axe
23-04-2004, 07:42 PM
hi all, i'm new to the site.
i own a 3.0 nsx 1992. *** import.
was at a cruise last night and the car started to make a ticking noise from the engine. it goes louder as you rev harder. any advice would be appriciated as i haven't drove it and am scared i may have to cough out thousands.

ctrlaltdelboy
23-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi axe

post your location - someone may be near you and willing to lend an experienced ear

darren

axe
24-04-2004, 10:57 AM
i'm in bolton, jus out of manchester. gave the car to honda today. so they should hopefully come out with something.

MattS
01-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Did you find out what it was?

I was driving enthusiatically this afternoon (and hit the rev limiter a couple of times) and when I slowed down the engine started making a ticking/fluttering noise from the engine. At first it was very loud (and sounded serious) it then became quieter over the next 10 minutes of cautious driving and now seems to have disappeared completely.

I don't think performance is down at all and oil pressure, temp etc seems fine.

Any thoughts anyone? I'll try prime and maybe give Trident a ring on Tuesday.

Matt

mcibuk
05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
axe - I'm in Huddersfield if you need a sympathetic ear!

Matt - if you've been driving enthusiastically and ABS system has intervened at all it could simply be the hydraulic booster pump raisin the pressure - f there is a small amount of air in the circuit - it can sound like fluttering or chattering which normally disapears within a few seconds. You may wish to check your brake fluid levels.

Peter

MattS
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks Peter,

The noise definitely seemed to come from somewhere under the cam covers. It was very loud and mechanical at first and linked to the revs (as though something mechanical was trying to engage or couple) and faded to a flutter after about 5-10 minutes. I don't think it was to do with the braking system.

I've driven it quite hard a few times since and haven't heard the noise again which is a relief as it definitely sounded like something was going to break!

I've spoken to Alan Davies at Trident Honda and he couldn't guess what it could have been......

Matt

NSXGB
20-05-2005, 08:34 PM
I had a similar experience with a noise as you describe, it turned out to be a rattling heat shield on the exhaust where a bolt had fallen out.

MattS
23-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks, but it definitely didn't sound anything like a loose bolt!

I've driven the car 5 or 6 times since (but warmed it up properly this time) and not had any recurrence. A mystery!