PDA

View Full Version : Front number plate holder

manisandher
28-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Just swapped my 20.5x4.5" front/rear plates for 16x4.5" plates. The rear looks OK, but the front plate holder now looks a little too big. Anyone know where I could get hold of a front plate holder that would hold the 16x4.5" plate nicely?

Any help much appreciated.

Mani.

NSXGB
28-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Easy to just make one up if you can. Couple of strips of Ali from Homebase, bent at approx 90° & drilled to utilise the existing front two number plate fixing bracket bolts.

Or just unbolt it and leave it off....

amo
29-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Easy don't put one on the front
Job done
Thx amo

Chris B N
29-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Remove the existing front plate holder get 2 3inch right angled brackets drill a hole to take the existing bolts that hold the current holder on and bond the new brackets straight onto the back of the new number plate using a good 2 pack epoxy resin and then bolt into the existing point
on the front bumper. also increases air flow though the rad.

Sudesh
29-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I have an OEM JDM from number plate support on my car that I would happily swap for the UK one as I prefer The standard size front plate to a smaller one. My plate holder will fit your OEM mounting locations as JDM and UK are the same. Mine is only a small black plastic support as to the full surround and backing like the UK one

manisandher
30-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi Sudesh, thanks for the offer.

Perhaps I should have made it clear in the OP that I've just replaced my original 'RY04 XXX' plate with 'll NSX' (actually '11 NSX' but it comes out as 'll NSX'), hence why I've gone for the 16" vs. the 20.5" length. And I wonder if I should hang on to my UK plate holder in case I ever need to replace the original long plates. But thinking about it, it's very unlikely that I'll ever need to do this...

Could you put up a pic of your OEM JDM holder so I could have a look?

Cheers, Mani.

Sudesh
30-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi Sudesh, thanks for the offer.

Perhaps I should have made it clear in the OP that I've just replaced my original 'RY04 XXX' plate with 'll NSX' (actually '11 NSX' but it comes out as 'll NSX'), hence why I've gone for the 16" vs. the 20.5" length. And I wonder if I should hang on to my UK plate holder in case I ever need to replace the original long plates. But thinking about it, it's very unlikely that I'll ever need to do this...

Could you put up a pic of your OEM JDM holder so I could have a look?

Cheers, Mani.

Hi Mani,

I'll take some photos shortly!

Sudesh
30-04-2012, 01:44 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX8/P1020006.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX8/P1020007.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX8/P1020008.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX8/P1020009.jpg

manisandher
30-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Hey Sudesh, wow that looks like a seriously BIG plate you've got on there! Anyway, your holder looks absolutely perfect for me. If you're happy doing a straight swap, please PM me to figure out how we take things forward. (My email is 'my NSXCB username' @virginmedia.com)

Cheers, Mani.

Sudesh
30-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey Sudesh, wow that looks like a seriously BIG plate you've got on there! Anyway, your holder looks absolutely perfect for me. If you're happy doing a straight swap, please PM me to figure out how we take things forward. (My email is 'my NSXCB username' @virginmedia.com)

Cheers, Mani.

lol, Yeah looks big on that particular holder, but my plate is the standard size, hence why I would now prefer to go for the UK one.

I'll send you a PM

manisandher
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I've decided to keep hold of my UK plate holder just in case I ever need to replace the original long plates on the car - you never know, Ary might offer me a fortune for my new 'll NSX' plate when he buys the first 'milk-float' NSX off the Detroit production line :-)

NSXGB, Chris BN, or anyone else - could you maybe make a pair of alu brackets up for me? For a cost, of course. Let me know.

Cheers,
Mani.

Chris B N
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Just go to B&Q and buy a pair of 3" square brackets, thats all I used, cut the number plate down to suit my short reg and used epoxy resin to bond them to the back of the number plate direct. Just make sure the centres are the same as the captive threads in the bumper. paint the brackets to stop them rusting.

manisandher
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Just go to B&Q and buy a pair of 3" square brackets...

Job Done! Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers, Mani.

nobby
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
for this lovely example, i would not have done the diy job and opted for the nice holder that would do your plate justice from Sudesh!

as you said in previous posts, you have no desire to sell, so in theory the only plate you will have is the current one!

all imho of course! :cool:

Sudesh
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
for this lovely example, i would not have done the diy job and opted for the nice holder that would do your plate justice from Sudesh!

as you said in previous posts, you have no desire to sell, so in theory the only plate you will have is the current one!

all imho of course! :cool:

I woulnt go with the brackets either. But his plate size is still off even for my holder, it would be slightly wider! but mine would have worked.

I got the UK front holder anyway, in fact I got one that's OEM and Uk size but a bit more rare and allot more expensive new than the UK one! Was another luck find, just like my exhaust lol

manisandher
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Well, I haven't changed anything permanently so can always change back if/whenever I want to. Meanwhile, I think I'll just keep a lookout for a holder that accomodates the front 16x4.5" plate perfectly. But actually, the DIY solution looks a lot better than I thought it would - certainly better than the standard UK holder with the 16" plate... and only cost me a tad over £10 plus an hour or so to fit.

In any event, Sudesh's holder was a modified OEM JDM (sort of a square holder cut in half)... which he was totally open about BTW. And it looks like all three parties are happy with our respective outcomes.

Mani.

PS. Anyone have any idea how many LBBs there are in the UK?

Sudesh
01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
As far as I'm aware, there are no OEM plate holders for that size of plate.

Your only other option is to modify your own uk one and cut it down in size.

nobby
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
can you please pass on some of your luck to me please re all things NSX (as you know)! :)

curious with what you have gotten now ...

I got the UK front holder anyway, in fact I got one that's OEM and Uk size but a bit more rare and allot more expensive new than the UK one! Was another luck find, just like my exhaust lol

Problem Child
01-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Not sure sure about the plate/ holder but love the padded garage floor.....now thats cool!

Sudesh
01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
can you please pass on some of your luck to me please re all things NSX (as you know)! :)

curious with what you have gotten now ...

lol I'll show you when your up next.

Sudesh
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Not sure sure about the plate/ holder but love the padded garage floor.....now thats cool!

You think!

I just put that down to see what it would like and how well it wears. It's comfy for sure lol easy on the knees and feet, it's also anti fatigue.

Problem Child
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I dont (yet) have a padded floor in the garage but I am in the process of lining the garage walls with 25mm foam panels to protect car. I do have a safety net between the two parts of my garage so nothing can fall onto the NSX!!!

Sudesh
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
You can check out my garage revamp here

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8096-Garage-Revamp

Didnt have the padded floor then but is basically the same just softer lol

Sorry to go off topic....... I'll leave it at that