PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt service

simonprelude
18-01-2006, 09:04 AM
OK, my car is due for what would be it's 60000 mile service, it is just over 8 years old and has covered 51000 miles so am thinking Cam Belt as this should be on the service (F).

Looking through the service history it was changed at 5 1/2 years at 36000 miles. So should I look at doing the Cam Belt on this service, or when the car is coming up to 10 years old or when it is coming up to 72000 miles.

HondaHoward
18-01-2006, 10:08 AM
My understanding is that older belts have a five year service life and for newer ones its six years - sorry not sure what the cross over year was, but in either case I guess you should be thinking of making the change.

How's your clutch? I've read that it can be beneficial to do them together if the clutch is anywhere near the end of its wear limits.

I'm sure you'll get some definitive posts from the experts.

trackdemon
18-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Where cambelts are concerned I don't think you can be too careful - if in doubt, change it. I had the belt go on my Alfa 164 V6 THE DAY BEFORE it was booked to be done, a costly piece of misfortune (£1700 on a £4000 car). Was a lovely car though :D

HondaHoward
18-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Sorry mis-read the original post - cambelt was done at 5 1/2 years ie it's only 2 1/2 years old. On that basis I think I'd leave it (unless the clutch........)

mutley
18-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I have to say I aggree with trackdemon, when it comes to came belts I like to think better safe than sorry, although if it is only 2 1/2 years old it probably would be fine. For peace of mind I would change it though.

mutley
18-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I have to say I aggree with trackdemon, when it comes to came belts I like to think better safe than sorry, although if it is only 2 1/2 years old it probably would be fine. For peace of mind I would change it though.

jaytip
18-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Don't waste your money changing it yet.It's only been two and a half years and 15K since it was last done.I may be wrong but i think the clutch is 100% independant(in terms of labour cost) of the cam belt change.You would still be paying full whack for a clutch change if you had both done together.Now if you needed the water pump changed.....

simonprelude
18-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks, I hope I do need the water pump changing, as car is warrenteed then would get any related non warranty jobs done at the same time therefore saving money on Labour.

So what do I do about servicing, have read through all the service history and it would seem to not need a 'major' service at the moment at all ??

Last service I think was a B with Spark plugs also changed.
Gets even more confusing.

Don't waste your money changing it yet.It's only been two and a half years and 15K since it was last done.I may be wrong but i think the clutch is 100% independant(in terms of labour cost) of the cam belt change.You would still be paying full whack for a clutch change if you had both done together.Now if you needed the water pump changed.....

NSA
19-01-2006, 12:07 PM
My car had the cam belt changed at 36k with the clutch and water pump three years ago. It recently had its 60k service at 59k and the dealer said it wasn't worth changing it again. I think the 60k came in at £471 excluding the cam belt.

duncan
19-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Simon,
Replacing the water pump is not because it is failing at the time of the belt replacement but to avoid a future and premature failure caused by a greater load being imparted by the new and hence un-relaxed belt. Personally I'd wait until the 5 years (ish) (or 6 years if you're in the US) is up. However, you're going to worry, do it sooner.
Duncan