PDA

View Full Version : Question for auto owners

Hondaboy
13-04-2012, 11:41 PM
So you come to a set of lights do you?
A. Keep it in drive with foot on the brake
B. Pop it into neutral till lights change

Just wondering what the recommended practise is :)

jpspringall
14-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I've only got an Auto Licence, and when i was learning to drive in '97 the following was the correct procedure:

1. Foot on brake
2. Apply handbrake
3. Take off brake

So no mention of putting car in neutral.

Mind you in the P reg Corsa i learnt to drive in, you had time to drink a coffee between changing from drive->neutral, and it actually selecting a gear.

Obviously it's a bit different with today's Autos but i think the same rules apply....Or at least i still drive the same way (Minus the hand brake)

I think the only technical difference's are that the rev's are slightly lower in neutral than drive when idling, and you'll go through your brakes slightly quicker due to the natural forward creep when you are in drive.

James

Sudesh
14-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting that James, always wondered what the auto rule was.

My NSX is manusl, but usually my everyday car would be an auto. At lights, I also just sit in D with foot on brake, same applies for say, sitting on a hill with lights at the top or a junction, most autos will hold themselves on the hill without handbrake. On few sequential cars I've had, that rule wouldn't apply, as it doesn't work like the auto at all in this way.

I've only got an Auto Licence, and when i was learning to drive in '97 the following was the correct procedure:

1. Foot on brake
2. Apply handbrake
3. Take off brake

So no mention of putting car in neutral.

Mind you in the P reg Corsa i learnt to drive in, you had time to drink a coffee between changing from drive->neutral, and it actually selecting a gear.

Obviously it's a bit different with today's Autos but i think the same rules apply....Or at least i still drive the same way (Minus the hand brake)

I think the only technical difference's are that the rev's are slightly lower in neutral than drive when idling, and you'll go through your brakes slightly quicker due to the natural forward creep when you are in drive.

James